Weekly bar trivia teases minds in Starkville

Jacob Mitchell • The Reflector

The winners at Moe’s Original BBQ’s Trivia nights go home with a wide range of prizes.

While each bar in Starkville has its own staple, one popular event can be found across many, and that is trivia nights.
Trivia is a diverse game. One could play it a million times with a million different people and have a different story each time. Because of this, local bars such as Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern, Moe’s Original BBQ and Rosey Baby are all known for hosting trivia night each week.
Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern is considered to be one of the most unique bars in Starkville. With a rustic atmosphere inside, featuring brick pillars and dim lighting throughout, Dave’s immediately sets the tone as a spot to relax.
Dave’s trivia is simple. There are no themes, making the game a complete mixed bag. There are also prizes for the trivia winners and for the best team’s name, which is voted on by the crowd. The prizes consist of gift cards for Dave’s, which are most often immediately used to buy a round of drinks for the table.
Tanner Marlar, a graduate student at Mississippi State University, is a Dave’s VIP card holder. Marlar is a regular competitor on trivia nights for what he describes to be the inviting social experience.
“The people are always nice to be around, talk to and converse with,” Marlar said. “It’s a good group of folks and harbors a sense of community.”
Another trivia spot in Starkville is Rosey Baby. Some would even say it is a bar that refuses to let one leave without an interesting story. Known for the fishbowl — a gargantuan bowl with more alcohol in it than a standard pitcher — Rosey’s always has something interesting going on.
While it is fair to say that the drinks, as well as those that attend Rosey Baby, allow for enough entertainment on their own, trivia still happens every Thursday.
With themed trivia nights such as Disney, sports and “Harry Potter” being done in the past, Rosey Baby provides an opportunity for the nerds of the niche to succeed.
One of Rosey Baby’s bartenders, Kylie Dowd, watches trivia unfold each week.
“It’s always upbeat and friendly, while also competitive and very energetic in the bar on trivia nights,” Dowd said.
Moe’s Original BBQ is another option for trivia and unequivocally has the best prize pool. Prizes feature gift cards for first, second and third place each week ranging from $25 to $75, in addition to everything from alcohol memorabilia to board games.
Moe’s is an attraction not only for the prizes, but also for the atmosphere.
According to Moe’s website, they “provide a very laid back, casual atmosphere during the day and a high energy bar scene at night.”
On top of their wide range of prizes, Moe’s builds up hype for their weekly game by posting hints on their Instagram account for a special part of trivia. Using these hints, teams must figure out a word that they are looking for to raise their score dramatically.
Starkville’s bars provide a spot for everyone. Know a random fact about Rudy Giuliani’s tenure as the mayor of New York? Well congratulations, the team remains in the game. Unaware of what happened on December 7, 1941? Well, prepare for judgement.
These bars provide an escape from the day-to-day and allow the public to flex their knowledge in a different way than usual, while also clouding their ability to remember that one answer that will earn the team a free round.

John Baladi
John Baladi, Life & Entertainment Editor
John Baladi is a senior business administration major. He currently serves as the Life & Entertainment Editor. [email protected]