Bulldogs men’s basketball takes down UT Martin in home-opener

Jahari Bell | The Reflector

Mississippi State Guard Josh Hubbard (#13) during the game between the UT Martin Skyhawks and the Mississippi State Bulldogs at Humphrey Coliseum.

The Mississippi State University men’s basketball team hosted the UT Martin Skyhawks in this season’s home-opener Saturday.
The beloved Humphrey Coliseum recently wrapped up its renovations and welcomed Bulldog fans to the new and improved arena for a highly anticipated basketball season.
This was the first regular season game for the Bulldogs after they appeared in a Charity Exhibition and the Barstool Sports Invitational.
Bulldog basketball fans flocked to the Hump to show their support, engulfing the arena in electric energy before the game clock even started. 
Throughout the first half, both sides of the court showcased back-and-forth hustle. The Bulldogs managed to keep the lead throughout the first half of the game, and by the end of it, the score was 41-27 in favor of Mississippi State.
The competition heated up quickly after halftime as the teams stepped back onto the court. While both teams were aggressive, Mississippi State fought just a little bit harder to keep its lead throughout the second half. UT Martin continued to trail the Bulldogs as the game continued on.
With three key players out with injuries, many players had to step up to help secure the win. One of the standout players of them game was freshman Josh Hubbard as he secured a team-high of 22 points against UT Martin.
Head coach Chris Jans had great things to say about Hubbard.
“He’s got an incredible work ethic, he understands the relationship between work and success, and he’s got a presence about him that he doesn’t walk around or make decisions like a freshman,” Jans said.
Hubbard attended high school nearby at Madison Ridgeland Academy and graduated high school as Mississippi’s top prospect and No. 88 nationally in the 2023 ESPN 100. Hubbard also holds Mississippi’s all-time leading scorer with 4,367 points. 
Hubbard was excited to be able to play in the Hump for the first time.
“As a little kid, I watched Mississippi State basketball all the time,” Hubbard said. “To wear the jersey and to play under coach Jans and to play in the Hump is definitely amazing and a blessing for sure.”
Hubbard’s dreams and hard work paid off to get him onto the court where he and the rest of the Bulldogs played their hearts out against the Skyhawks.
Mississippi State was victorious in their efforts and defeated UT Martin 87-63. Although it is still early in the season, the team is hyped up for what is to come and excited to continue to showcase their skills on the court.
Head coach Jans expressed his plan for the team and the remainder of the season during the post-game press conference.
“So right now we’re just trying to get better, we’re trying to get better every day,” Jans said. “It’s more cleaning things up in games and playing better in games.”
The Bulldogs will play the University of North Alabama Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Humphrey Coliseum, and the game will be broadcast on SEC Network.