Sarah Rendon aims to create future leaders, lasting connections

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Sarah Rendon, a senior communication major, is involved in many campus organizations.

Spend any time on Mississippi State University’s campus, and almost immediately one will come into contact with a poster or mass email preaching the benefits of getting involved.
If all of the statistics and quantitative data are not a compelling enough reason to believe in its merits, having one conversation with Sarah Rendon might sway one’s mind.
Rendon, a senior communication major, is known on campus for the impact she has had through her involvement in organizations like New Maroon Camp, Music Maker Productions and Freshman Edge.
“New Maroon Camp has probably been my biggest love, just because it taught me a lot about myself,” Rendon said. “And it was the first organization where I realized that no matter how much I gave to it, it was always going to give me more.”
Leadership has always been an extremely important value to Rendon, who said her first introductions to it was in Freshman Edge, a program now known as Freshman Reach.
“I think I really changed drastically coming into freshman year because someone who I looked up to told me I was worth something and that I could do this if I wanted. It shifted my perspective and I thought ‘I want to do that for other people,’” Rendon said.
Further proof of Rendon’s genuine desire to make an impact is best shown in what her peers have to say of her. Candice Bruce, who worked alongside Rendon at NMC, was no exception.
“Working with Sarah is a breath of fresh air. She is assertive but in a way that makes you want to be better,” Bruce, a senior communication major, said. “When the rest of exec would get overwhelmed, she would remind us of why we were doing this. She also recognizes other people’s ability that they may not be able to see in themselves.”
Rendon’s ties to MSU began with her father, Andrew Rendon, who works in planning and assessment for the vice president’s office.
“He was kind of worried about overstepping; he didn’t want people to ask, ‘Are you Andrew Rendon’s daughter?’ And now he jokes, ‘Maybe you went a little too far because now people ask, ‘Are you Sarah Rendon’s dad?’ It’s a very cool thing to earn your spot,” Rendon said.
Rendon’s achievements extend beyond involvement. She currently works in the Social Science Research Lab with Holli Seitz, an associate professor in the communication department, whom Rendon cites as one of her biggest life influences.
“Dr. Seitz was one of the first people to give me the confidence to try and fail at things. I do research with her, and she gave me the confidence to know that things like life, school and work are all just chances to learn, basically. She has been one of the most influential professors and mentors I’ve ever had in my life,” Rendon said.
Seitz had equally kind things to say about Rendon.
“As a professor, it is such an honor to get to be a part of a student’s life and witness this time of growth as they chart their course forward,” Seitz said. “I feel incredibly fortunate to get to be a part of Sarah’s MSU story and can’t wait to cheer her on as she continues doing amazing things.”
For Rendon, leadership is a natural quality. She said she hopes to help grow that quality in others.
“I just encourage people to look within and know that maybe if you don’t see it in yourself, there’s always potential to grow and to go out for those things that you wouldn’t think you’d be qualified for or have the capabilities for. More often than not, I think we can rise to the occasion,” Rendon said.

Lucy Hallmark
Lucy Hallmark, Opinion Editor
Lucy Hallmark is a sophomore biochemistry major from Summit, Mississippi. She currently serves as the Opinion Editor. [email protected]