Rails to Trails project could be introduced in Starkville

Jacob Mitchell | The Reflector

The C&G Rail Trail Coalition has established a mission to build a 92-mile-long rail trail corridor from Greenwood to Columbus, Mississippi.
This project will be making its way to Starkville through a reestablishment of the previously used railroad track at the intersection of East Lampkin and South Montgomery streets.
This trail through Starkville would be a part of the larger rails-to-trails project from Greenwood to Columbus.
Created by Wilson Carroll in 2008, his vision was to repurpose the C&G rail corridor for a multi-use recreation trail.
Richard Beattie, the co-founder of Mississippi’s largest bike ride called Bikes, Blues, and Bayous and a member of the C&G Coalition, said there was beauty in creating trails from old railroad tracks.
“An out of service rail line like the C&G has been out of service for almost 30 years and is an asset to these communities, but it is lying dormant and is crying out to be re-purposed,” Beattie said.
Beattie said the owners of the rail corridor in Starkville have indicated the service will not be restarted.
“Their wishes are to facilitate a conversion, so the opportunity to re-purpose this valuable asset is before us.” Beattie said. “The federal government has allocated nearly double the funding for such alternative transportation as this.”
Beattie said there were three main benefits to this conversion. First, he mentioned the economic development the project would bring.
“The trail would become a tourist destination that attracts thousands of visitors … This influx of tourism means existing retail establishments along the trail route will have more customers, and it will spawn new business opportunities for the local population, meaning rising sales tax revenue for local governments,” Beattie said.
Along with the potential of economic growth, Beattie said the nearby citizens’ quality of life would become enhanced by living by the trail.
“Just as a city park is an amenity for urban dwellers, the C&G trail is a desirable community amenity for those who live nearby. Think of it as a 92-mile linear outdoor park,” Beattie said.
Additionally, Beattie said the value of nearby properties would reap the benefits of the project.
“Once the trail is opened, land adjacent to a trail is more sought after by buyers, just as lakefront or beachfront property is of higher value,” Beattie said.
Beattie said the addition of a trail in Starkville would have long-term benefits to the community.
“It will be hugely important because of the potential to tie the C&G Trail in at West Point to the Kansas City Southern trail that is proposed to run through the MSU campus to Ackerman, thus connecting them both to the Natchez Trace Parkway that crossed the C&G in Mathiston,” Beattie said.
Kennedy Guest, president of Student Association at Mississippi State University, said he felt the project would benefit both students and the community.
“New fitness opportunities are drawing more businesses, festivals and events to the Starkville area for students to enjoy. The trail will also provide students with an enjoyable, healthy way to explore the area around Starkville without needing to use a car,” Guest said.
Guest said he thought MSU would be an ideal spot for this project.
“Mississippi State University would be one of the premier stops along the trail, bringing more visitors and attention to MSU,” Guest said.
According to Guest, all students should be in support of the project due to the advantages it would bring to Starkville.
Andrew Stayer, a junior majoring in food science, said he was interested in the potential project because of his enjoyment for nature walks.
“It would be cool if we had a physical outdoor thing to do. With all the scooters we have, it would definitely be a hit. We need more outdoor activities as a school,” Stayer said.
For more information on the C&G Rail Trail Coalition, visit cgrailtrail.org.