Keen: Revenge of the Bulldogs: Looking ahead to the season opener

Adam Sullivan | The Reflector

Makai Polk lays out for a touchdown in a last ditch attempt to secure a win vs Memphis

Mississippi State University football is looking to start its 2022 season with a vengeful win against the University of Memphis Saturday.

The Bulldogs faced off against the Tigers last year, but it didn’t end well for them. The team struggled to pull ahead, and a controversial call by one referee on a punt return resulted in a touchdown that would ultimately seal the deal for Memphis. The home team picked up the 31-29 victory and handed MSU its first loss of the season, which many deemed unfair.

Now, Mississippi State is looking to get their revenge. The team is entering the first game of the season with more returning production than nearly any school in the nation and has one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC, Will Rogers.

A solid group of wide receivers surrounds Rogers, and many have already demonstrated their abilities to make big plays through preseason scrimmages. Wideouts Rara Thomas, Caleb Ducking, Rufus Harvey and Austin Williams are slated as the team’s starters, but head coach Mike Leach regularly rotates receivers no matter their positions on the depth chart.

The Bulldogs might run the pass-heavy Air Raid, but Leach could opt to run the football more than past seasons. It’s not necessarily that he wants to make a change in his offensive scheme, but more so that the team’s running backs are too talented to not utilize more. Jo’quavious Marks and Dillon Johnson are two high-profile rushers who can also make big plays through the air. The two combined had 10 rushing touchdowns and four receiving touchdowns in 2021.

On the other side of the ball, this season could feature one of the best defenses the Bulldogs have had since Leach took over the program. It is loaded with veterans and potential early NFL Draft picks on the defensive line and in the secondary. Linebackers Tyrus Wheat, Nathaniel Watson and Jett Johnson are one trio of defenders that will be incredibly hard for opponents to fend off.

The biggest mysteries surrounding Mississippi State are the offensive line and special teams group. Last season, the Bulldogs lost star tackle Charles Cross to the 2022 NFL Draft, and they are looking now to fill in the gap. Graduate center LaQuinston Sharp will provide veteran leadership to the position group. As for the special teams, kicker Massimo Biscardi will be suiting up in the maroon and white for the first time since transferring from Coastal Carolina in the offseason.

Now, let’s take a quick look at what Memphis brings to the table. The Tigers have found success and been among the best in the American Athletic Conference over the last few seasons, but this year could potentially be tougher. They finished 6-6 in 2021 after a string of winning seasons and have not made any significant change that could lead them to be better than average in 2022.

Memphis is known for its quick and electric offense, but the defense gave up an average of 418.1 yards per game last year. That will likely carry over into this season as well, and the defensive struggles might be too much for the offense to overrule.

ESPN currently lists Mississippi State with a 77% chance of taking down Memphis in Davis Wade Stadium. The Bulldogs have playmakers on both sides of the ball, and the Air Raid offense is looking to be too difficult for Memphis to handle if executed correctly.

Defensively, MSU returns some big names who will have the chance to play against a powerful offense early and adjust well heading into the remaining 11 games. If the Bulldogs’ defense can limit the impact that the Tigers have on offense, then Mississippi State should come off the field with a season-opening victory.