NFL State to Sundays: Reflecting on week two

Landon Scheel | The Reflector
NFL State to Sundays update week 2

The NFL season is ramping up, and former Mississippi State University football talent are making an impact across the league. From Elgton Jenkins’ return to the Packers lineup, to Darius Slays’ multi-pick game against the Minnesota Vikings on Monday Night Football, MSU was well-represented in week two.
Willie Gay Jr. (LB) and Chris Jones (DT): Kansas City Chiefs
Thursday night, two former Bulldogs shone in primetime during the Kansas City Chiefs’ 27-24 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers.
Linebacker Willie Gay led the Chiefs’ defense with 11 total tackles – including two tackles for loss – and defensive tackle Chris Jones had three total tackles, with two sacks against Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert. Jones’ and Gay’s efforts were critical in limiting the Chargers’ high-powered offense.
Martin Emerson Jr. (CB): Cleveland Browns
Cornerback Martin Emerson Jr. had four total tackles for the Cleveland Browns on Sunday in the Browns’ narrow 30-31 loss against the New York Jets.
Montez Sweat (DT): Washington Commanders
Defensive end Montez Sweat had two tackles for the Washington Commanders in the Commanders’ 27-36 loss to the Detroit Lions.
Preston Smith (LB) and Elgton Jenkins (RT): Green Bay Packers
Green Bay Packers inside linebacker Preston Smith had seven total tackles, including two sacks against Bears quarterback Justin Fields in the Packers’ 27-10 defeat of Chicago. According to the Associated Press, Packers right tackle Elgton Jenkins was back in action for the first time since Nov. 12 after suffering from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament.
Green Bay head coach Matt LaFleur said Jenkins played a pivotal role in the Packers’ victory.
“If he’s not in the lineup, we don’t win that game,” LaFleur said. “It transcends his level of play, what he’s able to bring to us. For his first night out, I thought he did a great job.”
Logan Cooke (P): Jacksonville Jaguars
Jacksonville Jaguars punter Logan Cooke had five punts for 228 yards in the Jaguars’ 24-0 rout of the Indianapolis Colts. Cooke averaged 45.6 yards a punt, with his longest punt totaling 55 yards.
Johnathan Abram (SS): Las Vegas Raiders
Strong safety Johnathan Abram had seven tackles for the Las Vegas Raiders Sunday in their 23-29 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.
Cameron Dantzler Sr. (CB): Minnesota Vikings
A few former Bulldogs got in on the action Monday night as the Philadelphia Eagles won a decisive 24-7 victory over the Minnesota Vikings. Vikings cornerback Cameron Dantzler Sr. had four tackles in the game including one tackle for loss. 
Darius Slay (CB) and Fletcher Cox (DT): Philadelphia Eagles
Eagles defensive tackle Fletcher Cox had three total tackles, including one sack against Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins. Eagles cornerback Darius Slay had two interceptions and a tackle.
Jeff Kerr and Cody Benjamin of CBS Sports wrote that Slay kept Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson in check.
“Star corner Darius Slay headlined the effort,” Kerr and Benjamin wrote, “outdoing Jefferson in coverage to render Kevin O’Connell’s offense ineffective in just about every facet.”
All in all, it is safe to say that former Bulldogs are already leaving their mark on the current NFL season.