Bully and caretaker possess the “Bulldog spirit”

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Lisa Pritchard, Bully’s caretaker, has been with Jak since he was just eight weeks old.

If anyone possesses the Bulldog spirit, it is Lisa Pritchard, who may have the most important job in Starkville.
Lisa Pritchard is the caretaker of Bully XXI, Mississippi State University’s bulldog mascot named Jak. Pritchard, a native of Mathiston, Mississippi, worked for the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine for 28 years and retired in December 2020.
Since 1993, Pritchard has been working with the Bullys. A few years later, she orchestrated the change in who owned the lovable bulldogs.
“The Bullys were not owned by the University,” Pritchard said. “At that time, they were owned by private individuals.”
Pritchard would aid in picking up the Bullys from their homes each Friday before home football games. She would give them baths and help them look sharp. On Sundays, she would return them to their owners.
In 1998, Pritchard went to Larry Templeton, who was serving as the athletic director at the time, with a proposal for the university to own the mascots rather than alumni. She said Bully should be more accessible to the public and make more appearances.
“Mr. Templeton was receptive to the idea,” Pritchard said. “He said, ‘Go find me a bulldog, and I’ll pay for it.’”
Pritchard sought to find her first Bully and desired for all Bullys to be a descendant of previous Bullys. Her search ended in February 2001 at MSU’s College of Veterinary Medicine, where she met a six-week-old bulldog puppy with a spitfire spirit. She had finally found her first Bully, named Tonka.
“His head was held high, like he was saying ‘I’m the one you’re looking for,’” Pritchard said. “I told Mr. Templeton he was gonna be my Bully.”
After routine health screenings, Pritchard took him to stay at her home. Since then, she has been the primary caretaker of the Bullys and is in charge of their appearances.
The current Bully, Jak, has been with Pritchard since he was eight weeks old. She described Jak’s lively personality.
“He’s a really laid back dog,” Pritchard said. “He completely works a crowd wherever he is. His favorite thing is for someone to scratch his back.”
Kansas Paige Lee, a sophomore sports administration major from Poplarville, Mississippi, works as a fan experience and marketing intern for Hail State Athletics. She recognized the value of having a live mascot.
“It’s a fun and interactive way to bring spirit to the university that allows fans to make memories,” Lee said.
It is rare for the Bully to have an offseason, and Jak is no exception. Pritchard explained their busy schedule full of MSU and Starkville community appearances.
“We do all football games, home and away, and men and women’s home basketball games. We do some baseball and softball games, though he cannot stay too long in the Mississippi heat,” Pritchard said.
Annalee Turner, a junior kinesiology major from Corinth, Mississippi, is an MSU co-ed cheerleader. She said interacting with Jak brings immense joy to her and the other cheerleaders.
“I’ve always felt Jak stirs a sense of excitement and school pride second to none,” Turner said. “Not to mention how excited the cheerleaders get … Jak always welcomes us with happy licks and wags (of his tail).”
After Super Bulldog Weekend in mid-April, Jak’s appearances are much less consistent. Pritchard tries to keep him inside for his health and to prevent heat exhaustion, but they frequently visit local elementary schools and assisted living facilities. Soon, they will begin visiting local retailers for Maroon Fridays.
During a home football game weekend, Pritchard and Jak have a busy schedule where Jak is treated as MSU royalty in his kingdom of Starkville.
“On Friday before game day, he gets his spa treatment. He gets conditioned, his hair brushed. I trim his nails and whiskers, so he can look good for the camera,” Pritchard said. “A rehab technician student gives him a massage.”
On Saturday, Jak’s responsibilities begin two hours before kickoff. Pritchard gives him time to relax and sleep before the busy day ahead.
“We leave Dog Walk and lead the football players into the stadium, then visit the Hunter Henry Center for photo opportunities. Later, we run out with the players. Then, we’re on the sidelines cheering on our dogs.” Pritchard said.
Jak loves the team, and the team loves Jak. They give him plenty of back-scratches, his favorite thing.
Pritchard believes that if Jak could talk, there is one thing he would want Mississippi State to know.
“He would say he is their biggest fan.” Pritchard said.