MSU’s cube-solving club hosts timed competition

Samuel Hughes | The Reflector

Hosted on Oct. 29, Cowbell Cubing 2022 is a speed-cubing competition for students.

On Oct. 29, the Cube Corner will host Cowbell Cubing 2022 in the Foster Ballroom of the Colvard Student Union.
Cowbell Cubing 2022 is a speed-cubing competition hosted by Mississippi State University’s cube-solving club, The Cube Corner. The competition consists of various timed puzzle-solving events in which competitors face off to see who can solve each puzzle the fastest.
David Heaton, the Cube Corner’s president and founder, said the competition begins at 8 a.m. with a tutorial for first-time competitors. Following the tutorial’s conclusion, the cubing events will begin and continue until the award ceremony at 6:30 p.m.
Heaton said there are six different puzzles for competitors to solve including the 2×2 cube, 3×3 cube, 4×4 cube, 7×7 cube, Megaminx and Square-1. According to Heaton, he expects 48 competitors to participate in the competition.
Competitors can win cowbells for placing in the top three in 3×3 cube or by placing first in the other events.
Cowbell Cubing 2022 is Cube Corner’s second competition to host. While the competition is not a part of a larger cubing season, the times that competitors post at the competition will contribute to their overall ranking.
CubingUSA will support the event, and the World Cube Association will delegate and officiate the competition.
In 2018, Dylan Miller, a freshman communication major at LSU, was ranked in the top ten internationally in the 3×3 category.
Miller said he is looking to make good time in the Megaminx contest.
“I’m really looking forward to the Megaminx,” Miller said. “I’m hoping for like under 40 seconds, maybe like 38. That’s my big goal.”
Heaton said it is not uncommon for world records to be broken at cubing competitions. Heaton said he believes there is a very good chance a world record could be broken at Cowbell Cubing 2022, particularly in the Megaminx contest.
“There is a person who I believe is second in the world at Megaminx coming to this competition,” Heaton said. “He averages around 30 seconds, and, if you know anything about Megaminx, two minutes 30 seconds is about the average Mexaminx solver time. So, 30 seconds is just absolutely insane.”
Heaton said each event at Cowbell Cubing 2022 has a different format.
The 3×3 cubing event has three rounds. The first two rounds will eliminate half of the remaining competitors until twelve competitors remain for the third and final round. The top three competitors in the final round win cowbells.
There are two rounds for the 2×2 cube competition. The top 12 competitors advance from the first round to the final round.
There are three rounds for the 4×4 cube and Megaminx competitions. The top 75% advance to the second round. The top 12 advance to the final round.
There is only one round for the 7×7 cube competition.
Jared Tobin is a sophomore biomedical engineering major at MSU from Derby, Connecticut. Cowbell Cubing 2022 will be Tobin’s first time to compete in an official cubing competition.
Tobin said he is not putting too much pressure on himself because he is more interested in enjoying the experience.
Heaton said cubing competitions are social gatherings. Building community with fellow cube-solvers is a big part of the competition experience for participants.
A competitor seating area will be set up during the competition for participants to use when they are not competing in a round. Downtime between rounds gives competitors the opportunity to work puzzles together and to get to know one another.
Tobin said community is what cubing competitions are all about.
“Yeah, people set the world records,” Tobin said. “That’s a bonus to the experience you get to enjoy by going and being around all the people that share the same interests as you.”
The public is welcome to attend Cowbell Cubing 2022 and watch the competition. Heaton said there will be plenty of seats available for spectators.
Heaton said Cowbell Cubing 2022 will be an enjoyable event, and he encouraged anyone who might be interested to come watch the competition.