Tumble out of bed and stumble to the theater: SCT to perform ‘9 to 5: The Musical’

9-5
9-5

Starkville Community Theatre (SCT) will be performing “9 to 5: The Musical,” featuring music by Dolly Parton, on March 30 at their Main Street location.
The musical, based on the movie and stage adaptation of the same name, follows three female friends who strive to make a change in their workplace, but must take down their sexist boss to do so.
Originally, SCT planned to perform the musical in spring 2020, but the start of the pandemic brought the production to a halt. Months of hard work had to be put on the back-burner less than a month before opening night.
Director Paula Mabry described the process of putting on the show nearly two years later and the bumps along the way.
“I lost about six cast members, maybe more,” Mabry said. “Also, I lost my assistant director.”
When the theater doors were cleared to re-open, Mabry felt a surge of support from the community, mostly those who work 9 to 5.
Mabry’s choreographer moved to New Albany during the show’s absence and travels back and forth to Starkville twice a week. Mississippi State University students filled roles from the lead cast to the ensemble. Starkville residents of all professions have also taken the stage for “9 to 5: The Musical.”
Mabry speaks highly of her diverse cast.
“I have a high school principal, I have a pediatrician, I have a couple of retired people and people who teach,” Mabry said. “It’s a varied group of people who have put long hours into the dances and songs in rehearsals.”
Paul Ruff, winner of multiple Best Actor Awards at the Mississippi Theatre Association and other prestigious awards, will be playing the role of Mr. Hart, the sexist boss of Doralee, Violet and Judy.
SCT does not pay their actors, director, set designers or anyone else involved in the show. SCT has united Starkville residents for their love of theatre alone since the theater’s opening in 1978.
Since the musical is fast-paced, Mabry said the stage will use three revolving platforms showing different scenes on each side to avoid breaking the continuity of the show and avoid wasting time with unnecessary blackouts.
Another interesting production detail is perhaps the best one of all: a life-sized projection of Dolly herself sent directly from Music Theatre International.
“We’re planning on using the projection they sent us,” Mabry said. “If they like Dolly Parton, they’ll enjoy the show.”
Madeline Golden, who plays Violet in the show, has been involved with Starkville Community Theatre for 39 years. When asked what the show meant to her, she had all good things to say.
“It means hard work and lots of laughter,” Golden said. “As well as getting to meet and work with some great folks.”
Andrea Turnbow is playing Doralee Rhodes in the show, the role portrayed by Dolly Parton in the film adaptation. She said the message of the show is important for everyone, not just women.
“These women (portrayed in the musical) endure so much inequality and sexual harassment and work hard to change things,” Turnbow said. ” … Unfortunately, we women are still fighting for these things today. This message is not just for women, but anyone who has been walked all over when they may not be sure how to stand up for themselves.”
Director Mabry said audiences can expect good music, good acting, a creative set and a whole lot of Dolly Parton.
The show will run March 30 & 31 at 7:30, April 2 at 7:30, April 3 at 2 p.m. and April 5-9 at 7:30.
Tickets are $20 and available at the Starkville Community Theatre office. If nobody is at the office, show-goers can call and leave their name to pick the tickets up later.