Student dies in car crash

James+Harrell
Hannah Moore | Courtesy Photo
James Harrell

Mississippi State University student James Thomas Harrell passed away on Dec. 4. 
Harrell was killed in a single-car accident on Old West Point Road in Oktibbeha County. The county deputy’s report showed Harrell lost control of his Nissan 350 ZX, swerved, tumbled and was ejected from the vehicle. He was not wearing a seat belt. The incident is still under investigation by the sheriffs’ department.

miner, said Old West Point Road is a dark and curvy road and he advises drivers to be cautious at all times.
“At all times, wear your seat belt,” Miller said. “Drive responsibly and slow down.”
Harrell grew up going to MSU football games and attended West Point High School. MSU was the only college he wanted to apply to, his father Robert Harrell, said. Robert Harrell said the last words he and his son shared were, “I love you.”
“I just told him I loved him,” Robert Harrell said. “Every time before he hung up, he would say ‘Dad, I love you.’ That’s how we would end every conversation.” 
Robert Harrell said the week before his son’s death, he, James, and James Harrell’s 76-year-old grandfather, “Papa,” went on a hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail. James Harrell was an avid outdoorsman and an Eagle Scout. His hobbies were rock climbing, kayaking, hiking and camping. 
In the spring of 2013, James Harrell went on a trip to Patagonia, Chile as part of a “Bear Grylls” experience in the wilderness for four months. The trip was with a group of 20 other students from all over the country as part of a college course. According to James Harrell’s best friend, Hannah Moore, this was his element.
“He was all about adventure,” Moore said, who had been friends with James Harrell since diapers. “He was always trying to teach us stuff, always trying to teach me different kinds of knots to tie. It was in his blood to be outdoors.”
Moore helped arrange James Harrell’s funeral, which she said was one of the hardest things she has ever had to do. Moore said people from all across the country came to James Harrell’s funeral.
“To see the amount of people that James touched was incredible,” Moore said. “What was even more incredible was to see all the different types of people he touched. That just speaks to the type of person he was, selfless and kind.”
James Harrell left behind four siblings, Robert (23), William (20), Samuel (16) and Ann Caroline (15). Moore said the family has picked up a new motto in honor of James.
“We all say, ‘What would James do?’” Moore said, “And we all know he would just fuss at us saying, ‘Get out of bed and go out and do something awesome.’”
Moore said some of James Harrell’s  friends are planning an annual hiking trip in memory of their friend who loved the outdoors.