SMART shuttle connects students off campus

SMART+shuttle
David Lewis
SMART shuttle

With the receipt of the Rural General Public Transportation Program grant through the Mississippi Department of Transportation, Mississippi State University, in partnership with the city of Starkville, began using the Starkville-MSU Area Rapid Transit (SMART) system shuttles across the city Jan. 6. 
The grant has provided more than $800,000 for transit operations and approximately $1.5 million for the purchase of 10 new shuttles.
Mike Harris, MSU director of Parking Services, said the first week of operation for the SMART shuttles was successful. 
“Last week, we ran one bus per route and almost carried 1,000 folks on the seven shuttles we ran,” Harris said. “Now, we have all the 16 buses running that began operations on Monday the 13th.” 
 Ward 5 Alderman Scott Maynard said the city of Starkville is excited to partner with MSU on the SMART shuttle service. He said he believes the improved transportation will make a difference in the lives of the citizens of Starkville as well as the students who live in the city.  
“With parking on campus becoming more restrictive and roads closing for construction, it is going to be in the students’ best interest to utilize the new public transit system. The convenient pick-up locations and the consistent schedule are great reasons to ride,” Maynard said. “As students become familiar with the new routes and word spreads about the SMART Transit System, I believe the number of people using the system will just continue to increase.” 
Elyssa Derka, senior biological sciences major, said she owns an SUV but because it is a horrendous gas-guzzler for rides off campus, the SMART shuttle will provide her with a better option.
“I have to spend so much just to get food once a week or even just to get to the animal shelter every day is expensive. I think that these buses are an amazing idea and are going to make commuting around Starkville so much easier for students. I can’t wait to try them for myself,” Derka said. 
Harris said the grant states transportation should be offered and available to everyone.
“The Starkville MSU Area Rapid Transit shuttle system will have stops at OCH Regional Medical Center, Wal-Mart Supercenter and Kroger in addition to other stops at residential areas,” he said.
In the fall of 2013, MSU Student Association President Michael Hogan said he received requests every week to extend the hours of the shuttle service from students who do not have a car or international students for whom it may be difficult to afford a car.
Karin Lee, manager at MSU International Institute said the SMART shuttle service will make an impact on international student recruitment and adds to the quality of life for international students, allowing more independence. 
“Finally, they do not have to rely on other students with cars or also rely on us. They can do whatever they want and whenever they want to. They are not forced to rent cars, which will help them,” Lee said.
For more information on the SMART shuttle routes and to track the buses live, students can log on to smart.msstate.edu.