Starkville becomes first Mississippi city to pass anti-discrimination resolution for LGBT community

News
News

On Tuesday the city of Starkville became the first city in the state of Mississippi to pass a resolution supporting the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
The resolution, which was passed 7-0, states that “discrimination against a person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and expression, age, marital status, sexual orientation, familial status, veteran’s status, disability or source of income to be anathema to the public policy of the City.”
Ward 5 Alderman Scott Maynard said the resolution was passed for all individuals.
“It basically serves to bring our existing policy in line with the federal standards. Living in a college town provides us with a very diverse population by nature, and we want everyone to feel welcome,” Maynard said. 
 The Human Rights Campaign, the largest LGBTQ civil rights advocacy group and political lobbying organization in the United States welcomed the City of Starkville’s decision. 
Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, in a statement Tuesday thanked the city’s Board of Aldermen for passing an equality resolution and becoming the first municipality in Mississippi to “recognize the dignity of its LGBTQ residents.”
“The city’s action sends a message to its residents that all people, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, are worthy of respect and equality,” Griffin said. 
Lynn Spruill, former city administrator, said she is extremely proud of the city’s stance on non-discrimination.
“While I am surprised that it achieved a full 7-0 vote in favor of it, I am excited that this Board of Aldermen and the mayor recognize the importance of inclusion in our society. There is no argument that inclusion creates a better working environment and fosters growth and productivity within your staff and, even more importantly, it tells those outside our community that we value the individual,” Spruill said. “Starkville is obviously a welcoming city and considers diversity to be a positive element in the community.” 
Leslie Baker, political science instructor who teaches gender and politics at Mississippi State University, said this is a historic moment for Mississippi.
“Generally speaking, there is policy diffusion when these types of policies get passed, if there is not too much of a public opinion backlash and, from what I have seen so far, there hasn’t been any real issues with it,” Baker said. “Once one city or state passes such a resolution, others around them are likely to do the same. I imagine more of the progressive cities in Mississippi will follow suit some and pass similar ordinances.”
Alderman Maynard said while Starkville was the first to adopt the new standard in the state, there will be other municipalities that pick it up in the next several weeks.
“I know it is on Oxford’s agenda for their first meeting in February,” Maynard said. 
Simone Cottrell, Starkville resident, said she is proud the resolution was passed by a collective leadership that represent Starkville as a whole and not just one social or political organization.
“It’s not a secret that Mississippi is a conservative state, run, by the most part, by conservative political figures. For Mayor Wiseman and the Board of Aldermen to make such a bold move towards social equality was shockingly refreshing. It furthers the solidarity of our community,” Cottrell said. “Whether one agrees with the lifestyle of another person shouldn’t be the issue and that can be debated all day, but how we treat each other with respect, dignity and compassion is what matters.” 
HRC President Griffin said Wiseman and the Starkville City Council are an inspiring example for their counterparts in surrounding cities and towns.