‘Empty Bowls’: throwing pottery to fight hunger

The Student Dietetic Association will host an event called “Empty Bowls” to raise awareness of hunger and food insecurity on Oct. 16, which is also recognized as World Food Day.

Participants in this event are invited to come by the ceramics studio located in 114 Howell Hall from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today  to make a bowl to be auctioned off at the event. A private donor has supplied clay and glaze to the Department of Art for use during this event.  Participants will be assisted in creating their bowls by students from Professor Robert Long’s Advanced Ceramics class.

Long said the synthesis of art and philanthropy will appeal to a multitude of audiences.

“If they are collectors of art they can go and be thinking of it that way, or maybe they are going because they want to help in a community service capacity,” Long said. “Either way they get to participate  with like-minded people.”

Bowls created at Friday’s event will be placed on display at the Oct. 16 dinner where   they will be auctioned off to event attendees. Proceeds from the bowls will benefit local food pantries and community programs. The Student Dietetic Association hopes the event will produce 200 bowls and raise $5,000.

In addition to faculty and students from the Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Promotion, a few notable individuals will be taking part in the Empty Bowls event. Jerry Gilbert, the Provost, and Peter Ryan, the Associate Provost will be in attendance on Friday. Mayor Parker Wiseman will also create a bowl to be auctioned off for the event.

The 6th Maroon Edition, “The Invisible Girls” by Sarah Thebarge helped to inspire the Empty Bowls event. The book ties into the program through its highlighting of food insecurity issues. 

All students interested in participating in Friday’s event are encouraged to stop by and help by creating a bowl to be auctioned at the Oct. 16 banquet.

Adam Sullivan
Adam Sullivan, Former Photography Editor
Adam Sullivan served as the Photography Editor from 2021 to 2022.