Mississippi State: a football family

If you had told me in August that by October Mississippi State University’s football team would be ranked third in the nation and would host College GameDay vs. Auburn, I probably would have laughed. However, I am eating my own words at this point. This team is special in its own way. Whether we win or lose this Saturday, that fact does not change.
This 2014 Mississippi State team has done more for the university than people realize. Dak Prescott said it best after the passing of his mother: “At Mississippi State we don’t have fans; we have family.”
The Heisman-hopeful could not be more accurate in that statement. The attitude has shifted from “should we go to the game?” to “when are you getting to the game?” 
MSU has never been known for football. I remember a time when our homecoming game was not a guaranteed win. The Bulldog program has been known to produce great players we will always remember, like Eric Moulds, D.D. Lewis, John Bond, Derek Sherrod and Anthony Dixon, to name a few. 
This year is the first year Bulldog fans will be able to look back on and say, “Remember when we had that team?” instead of “Remember when we had that player?” 
The amount of heart this school has for this football team cannot be matched. The pride of Starkville continues to show and grow rapidly. Football is not just the hot topic, but it is the only topic as of right now. 
“True Maroon” is always a Bulldog nation saying, especially during football season, but what does it truly mean? What it means to be True Maroon is to give everything you have to the guy or girl next to you. It is to be prideful in victory and humble in defeat. It is to do your part on game day and to honor the traditions of our great university. Everyone on this campus has been True Maroon thus far this semester, and I believe that spirit will continue to build with time. MSU’s national recognition is fantastic, but at the end of the day the most important people are those from Starkville, Mississippi.
This football team has inspired us all and given us a chance to believe in something bigger than all of us. It is amazing that a group of 18-22 year olds playing a sport can unite a university. Mississippi State is no longer your school; Mississippi State is your family. From Dak Attack to Psycho Defense, this team will be one to remember. Our weapons on offense are just as good as any other team in the country. Our coaches and players are ready for this weekend, and now it’s time for the students to do their part. On behalf of the students, we would like to thank the football team for taking us along for this wild ride, and we will be with you until the end. We are all huge Bulldog fans, but the biggest fan of all carefully watches over her Bulldogs, and especially her son, Dak Prescott. Peggy Prescott gave Dak the spark to lead this team, and they have not looked back since. Don’t worry Dak, when you point up at her on Saturday, she will be all smiles because she knows her son has turned a school into a family.