New Maroon camp prepares for summer

Courtesy Photo | Pepper Taylor
New maroon camp

Last summer Student Affairs of Mississippi State University hosted a “New Maroon” camp for incoming 2014-2015 freshmen.  The camp was held in Florence, Mississippi at Twin Lakes for the first two days of camp, and the last two days were held on campus. New Maroon hosted a camp-like setting in which counselors assisted and provided the future Bulldogs with guidance.
This year, the camp is set to take place at the same location.
Jack Cutrer, sophomore communication major and co-director of New Maroon camp, said 82 freshmen attended the camp last summer.
“We’re looking to get a four percent increase, so we want at least 385 freshmen to attend this summer,” Cutrer said.  
According to Cutrer, freshmen were allowed to play various interactive games that allowed students to grow into a family.
 “At MSU we’re kind of like a family,” he said.  “At camp, we really use that to continue the growth of relationships amongst students. It’s such a big deal to get involved.  At the camp, students get to ask those questions they want to ask before they get into college.”
Pepper Taylor, sophomore undeclared major and co-director of New Maroon camp, said counselors spend time with freshmen, leading and teaching them Mississippi State traditions. 
“They will help them get accustomed to MSU and what the school is about,” Taylor said.  “We will have meetings at the end of this semester and all next semester to prepare counselors for camp.”
Taylor said last summer’s New Maroon camp had a successful turnout. 
“The good thing is that a lot of the freshman who came to New Maroon camp have connections with us and fellow freshmen,” Taylor said.
“They have gotten involved on campus and really plugged into the university. For me, as a freshman, it was hard because I didn’t really know anyone, but New Maroon camp allows students to get to know people and the university,” she said.
After commending last year’s executive board on a great job for New Maroon camp, Taylor said this year they know what to expect for a turnout.
“We have more time to prepare this summer,” she said.  “We do plan on changing a few things, but keeping it basically the same.”
Students Affairs currently seeks counselors for next summer’s camp.  An interest meeting for New Maroon camp counselors will take place Oct. 21 at 7:30 p.m. in McCool Hall Taylor Auditorium. Applications can be found online at newmaroon.msstate.edu. Applications are due  Oct. 22 by 4 p.m. in Allen Hall room 611.