MSU partners with Veteran’s Affairs to provide health benefits

Mississippi State University will be the first higher learning institution in the nation to collaborate with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to offer easily accessible health benefits to veterans.
MSU’s G.V. “Sonny” Montgomery Center for America’s Veterans and Jackson, Mississippi’s VA Medical Center have been hammering out the details of this partnership for the past two years. The arrangement, officially formalized in June, will allow MSU students and Starkville residents to undergo medical services on the MSU campus.
Joe Gray, physical therapist at the MSU Student Health Center, said veterans do so much for their community, and he feels proud he can do this for them.
“It is very important to get proper healthcare to veterans. Physical therapy is a major part of that. This partnership is very beneficial for our veterans and we’re honored to help out with any ailments or pains they might have,” Gray said. “They provide our freedom and safety. Being able to give back in this way is great.”
The VA will hold required equipment such as computers, cameras and microphones. However, individuals will continue to receive services through the Jackson office with the use of telehealth technology. Already, twenty-six MSU clinical faculty and students have begun the training to later provide treatment and monitor and record visits.
Ken McRae, Director of MSU Center for America’s Veterans, said this arrangement will ensure students can get the treatment needed without them having to miss classes.
“The big thing is that now students can be treated and not have to miss class time. We offer occupational, speech and physical therapies and mental health services, McRae said. “We never really had a reason to partner with the VA before, but now we have a much larger number of veterans. We are their advocates. It is our responsibility to take care of them.”
McRae said  now MSU can aggressively recruit more veteran students.
“Another thing is that it was very difficult for us to recruit veterans with a disability that requires treatment often. Now we can actively recruit all veterans,” he said. “Ten percent of the MSU student body are veterans. We only hope to increase that population.”
While   physical therapy will  be available  at the Student Health Center, both occupational and speech therapies will be offered at MSU’s T.K Martin Center, connected to the Student Health Center.