MSU hosts first ‘Minority and Women Vendor Fair’

Mississippi State University is an institution that embodies diversity not only in the student body but also in the faculty, staff and with businesses in the state of Mississippi. 

For the first time MSU is hosting the “Minority and Women Vendor Fair” today until 3 p.m. at the Hunter Henry Center.

This fair is an opportunity for minority and women vendors to develop a relationship with MSU and allows MSU to broaden its horizon in regards to different types of services provided and the different vendors that provide them. 

Don Buffum, MSU’s Director of Procurement and Contracts, said the goal of the university is to introduce more diverse suppliers to the departments so they can take advantage of more and better solutions while, at the same time, saving money whenever possible. 

“Doing business with MSU can be a very positive experience. It isn’t difficult.  We are looking for suppliers that can offer products, services and solutions and will work with us to maximize the value to MSU, its students, faculty and staff,” Buffum said.

Many departments look forward to interacting with the minority and women vendors. 

Angela Verdell, director of Diversity Programs and Student Development, said she is very excited about MSU taking full advantage of opportunities to expand its business possibilities and believes it is important to develop diverse ties within the state of Mississippi. 

“I expect to walk away more aware of the products and services provided by minority and women vendors in the state of Mississippi,” Verdell said. 

The Minority and Women Vendor Fair is coordinated by the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion under the leadership of Tommy Stevenson. 

Along with the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, Buffum said his staff strives to work with the departments and the supplier community to maximize the value to MSU. 

Katherine Campbell, office assistant in the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, believes this vendor fair is not only an opportunity to network but also gives some insight to suppliers on the needs of the consumer. 

“Vendors to connecting with an established institution such as Mississippi State University will hopefully give them perspective on both sides of the process which would allow them to better serve current and perspective clients,” Campbell said. 

Students are encouraged to come out and witness these interactions. Vendors as well as MSU departments are looking forward to experiencing what the “Minority and Women Vendor Fair” has to offer and hope MSU will continue to reach out and attempt to diversify their endeavors.