NOMAS, Fashion Board present Junk to Funk sale

Everyone has a little bit of an inner entrepreneur hidden deep within him or her, and Mississippi State University’s National Organization of Minority Architecture Students (NOMAS) in collaboration with Fashion Board will put on a “Junk to Funk” event where students have the opportunity to showcase and sell custom creations. 

All students who create custom products and art pieces are encouraged to participate in the event, which will take place in the Giles Hall Gallery on Wednesday before and after the 7 p.m. NOMAS TRASHIONshow.

The Junk to Funk sale will begin at 3 p.m. Wednesday and will continue an hour after the TRASHIONshow concludes

Savannah White, Fashion Board vice president and senior communication major, feels the TRASHIONshow offers students an avenue of creativity that combines design and sustainability. She  said Fashion Board and NOMAS’s collaboration yields an innovative event.

“MSU’s Fashion Board and NOMAS, two student groups who otherwise have nothing in common, are brought together through the art of a thrilling production which has been quite a lengthy process,” she said. “We shot the poster advertisements for the show and held model tryouts about five weeks ago.”

White said the joint effort by both student organizations will hopefully lead to a final product that is well received by students, and the Junk to Funk sale is an excellent precursor for the fashion show.

“NOMAS oufit and set designers have been working hard to have the designs runway-ready by Wednesday. We are anxiously waiting to see all the pieces put together and are excited to see how these student groups continually blow it out of the water year after year,” she said.

The Junk to Funk sale will offer a wide range of items such as handcrafted jewelry, purses, photography and screenprints.

The event usually brings in large crowds of between 200 to 300 people, and students that sell their products receive 70 percent of the profit received from their items. The remainder of the profit will go to the NOMAS organization.

Aryn Phillips, senior architecture major, is designing a dress for the TRASHIONshow. She said the sale is important because it allows students to showcase their trade.

“The Junk to Funk sale gives students who make custom products an opportunity to showcase and sell their work,” she said. “It allows them to gain exposure for their work, promote and raise awareness about their craft.”