Cooley building receives APA award

The E.E. Cooley building located on the campus of Mississippi State University has received the American Planning Association (APA) Award for the “Best Project/Outstanding Project” for 2014. The award was presented Nov. 13 at the annual luncheon in Tupelo, Mississippi. Along with this award, the building will be a state-of-the-art conference and meeting center for individuals.
Construction on the historic John M. Stone Cotton Mill began in May.  Buddy Sanders, APA-MS member and community development director, submitted the project to the American Planning Association of the Mississippi chapter. 
The 73,975-square-foot conference center will feature a 1,000-seat ballroom, breakout rooms and office space. The latest communication technologies will be integrated throughout the facility, and on-site catering will be available.
Other amenities The Mill offers include a 450 space-parking garage, a Courtyard Marriott Hotel, retails stores and restaurants
According to the AMA-MS, the project was noteworthy because of its innovation, comprehensiveness, quality and implementation.
Mark Keenum, MSU President, said he feels this project will bring more people to Starkville and Oktibbeha County.  
“The project will transform the front door of our university and the main point of transition from the campus to the community into an inviting place that highlights the beauty and livability of Mississippi State and Starkville,” Keenum said.
According to David Shaw, vice president of research and economic development, this award highlights the character of this project and provide it with additional publicity.
“This will open up untold opportunities for MSU and Starkville to put its best foot forward and demonstrate to conference participants the caliber of university and community we are,” he said.
Mark Castleberry, project developer, said he feels the APA award will have an impact because it is good exposure to a new group of people. It also can be used for advertising and promoting the project.