Berkeley national lab visits MSU, explores research opportunity

A six-member delegation from the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Calif., visited Mississippi State University Monday to explore partnership and funding possibilities. The visit was designed to inform MSU researchers about Berkeley’s resources, facilities and proposal process and develop a potential project with the personnel. 
Over 100 MSU researchers met with the six-member delegation. 
MSU showcased research in biofuels, computing, materials science and global technologies. 
Jason Keith, MSU Energy Institute director, who coordinated the visit, said prior to the visit he was hopeful MSU and LBNL would find common ground.
“I hope that we can identify areas of mutual interest which can lead to collaborations on research proposals. In addition, our scientists may want to develop user access proposals to conduct experiments and simulations at LBNL,” Keith said
David Shaw, vice president for research and development at MSU, said MSU has some tremendous strengths that match extremely well with LBNL. 
“I and several others from MSU met with the LBNL leadership a year ago when they were in Mississippi.  Congressman Alan Nunnelee had invited them to Mississippi to learn more about our research programs,” Shaw said.  “Following that meeting, I flew out to LBNL and spent two days meeting with various individuals, learning about their capabilities.  We’ve had several from MSU make follow-up visits to begin exploring partnerships.  LBNL Day is the next step in cementing a relationship between our two organizations.”
Keith said the visit was designed to allow for maximum integration of MSU faculty, research staff and graduate students with the LBNL visitors.
Shaw said when he met with LBNL first, LBNL leadership was impressed with MSU’s efforts in areas of computing, biofuels, material sciences and global technologies for developing nations, which is why they were willing to send a team of people to our university to explore collaboration. 
Teresa Gammill, assistant vice president for research for the office of research and development, said the department provided the logistical support for the effort.
“Dr. Shaw and some of our faculty have made several visits to LBNL, and we decided that it would be good to provide a LBNL Lab Day here at MSU to provide an opportunity for our faculty to learn of the resources available at LBNL as well as discuss collaborative opportunities with the LBNL personnel,” Gammill said.  
The program began at the Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems building in the Research Park and ended with breakout sessions in various MSU buildings in the Research Park for MSU researchers to present their research and talk with LBNL points of contact to allow for possible research collaborations.