Bulldogs split weekend bout with Holy Cross, prep for midweek test

Offensive and defensive struggles hurt the Bulldogs as they split a four-game series 2-2 at home against the Holy Cross Crusaders over the weekend. 
The Bulldogs committed seven errors to Holy Cross’s two and stranded 47 base runners in the four-game series. 
Head Coach John Cohen said he has faith in his defenders, and they will continue to work hard and improve. 
“I don’t think there’s any explanation,” Cohen said. “I think it’s just part of the game. We have great defenders. I trust all of our guys. They’re all unbelievable defenders. I know they’re going to get the job done. It just happens sometimes.”
Junior outfielder Jake Vickerson said the team will continue to stay positive and look to capitalize on offensive and defensive opportunities in key situations.  
“We just have to go back to the drawing board,” Vickerson said. “I don’t think it’s time for us to go in there and feel sorry for ourselves. They beat us fair and square. We didn’t make the plays and get the big hits that we needed to. We have to get back at it this week.”
A strong pitching performance by junior right-hander Brandon Woodruff helped Mississippi State University defeat the Crusaders 6-2 in Friday’s opening game. 
Woodruff threw for five and two-thirds innings allowing just three hits and one earned run.
The offense was led by Vickerson and senior centerfielder C.T. Bradford as the two combined for five of the team’s 10 hits.
A stellar relief appearance by sophomore right-hander Myles Gentry helped the Bulldogs secure the victory. 
Gentry relieved Woodruff in the fifth inning and pitched three and one thirds shutout innings to earn his first career save. 
In Saturday’s doubleheader, the Bulldog offense was carried by redshirt junior first baseman Wes Rea. 
In game one, Rea went 2-for-4 with two home runs and a career-high tying four RBIs. 
Right-handed pitcher Trevor Fitts improved to 2-0 as the Bulldogs defeated the Crusaders 8-4.
Offensive success continued for Rea in game two of the twin bill. Rea crushed a three-run home run in the bottom of the fourth inning and finished the game with four RBIs on a season-high three hits. 
The Bulldogs led 6-5 in the seventh inning before allowing two runs in the eighth. 
Sophomore right-hander John Marc Shelly suffered the loss for MSU after throwing just two pitches as Holy Cross defeated the Bulldogs 7-6.  
In the series finale on Sunday, a four-run inning by Holy Cross was too much for MSU as the Crusaders defeated the Bulldogs 6-1. Starting pitcher Donny Murray picked up the win for the Crusaders, while MSU true freshman Dakota Hudson suffered the loss. 
Hudson pitched three innings and gave up five hits and one earned run before being relieved by freshman Vance Tatum. Tatum allowed three earned runs on two hits.
Trailing 4-0, the Bulldogs scored one run in the fifth inning on an RBI single by Vickerson. However, the Bulldogs were unable to produce any more runs during the game.  
Cohen said costly miscues on the mound were a huge factor in the game. 
“The key to the game is we just had huge misses on the mound and they didn’t,” Cohen said. “When you keep challenging the strike zone the way they did, your defense is going to engage. We just had huge miss after huge miss. I thought (Jacob) Lindgren pitched really well, but you can’t have the kind of misses on the mound that we’re having right now. That takes you in the wrong direction. I thought defensively we did a pretty good job.”
MSU returns to Dudy-Noble Field for a two-game series against Mount Saint Mary’s on Tuesday at 4.pm. Game two is scheduled for Wednesday at 4 p.m.
Cohen said he will continue to give different players an opportunity and experiment with the lineup early in the season. 
“We’re going to keep playing a lot of people early in the season,” Cohen said. “Even though it might cost us a bit, I think in the big picture it’s going to make us a better program and club.”