Davis Wade Stadium celebrates 100 years

Emma Katherine Hutto
Davis Wade Stadium

This year marks the 100th anniversary of Mississippi State University’s iconic Davis Wade Stadium. 
Built in 1914, its original name was New Athletic Field. In 1920, the field was named after Don Magruder Scott. Scott was not only an Olympic sprinter, but also an MSU football star in 1915-16. Later, the stadium was named after a Floyd Davis Wade Sr. due to a large financial contribution made toward the stadium’s expansion. Officially, the stadium’s name is Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field.
The stadium holds one of the largest high definition video boards in college football. The board measures 152 feet wide by 135 feet, six inches tall, with a main HD screen 111 feet wide by 47 feet high.
It is currently the largest true high definition board in the SEC and the second largest nationally.
 The expansion on the stadium started in 2012 and is expected to conclude in August. By the conclusion of the expansion, the goal is to have the stadium enclosed. The stadium will be able to hold upwards of 6,000 more people than before. While the expansion costs range from between $75 to 80 million, all finances were paid through a number of private sources and not at tax payers’ expense. The stadium currently stands as the nation’s second-oldest Division I-A campus football stadium. 
Jerry Gilbert, provost and executive vice president, said the stadium’s expansion will multiply both the unity of the university and pride in athletics. 
“Football games and athletics give all supporters of MSU a chance to identify with the university.  For students, it is one aspect of college life.  MSU gives our students many learning opportunities inside and outside of the classroom. Athletics helps round out the college experience and solidify the feeling of being an MSU Bulldog,” Gilbert said. “A bigger and nicer football stadium will increase the pride of the fans in the university’s athletics and the university in general.”
Scott Wetherbee, senior associate athletic director, said demand has never been higher for a larger stadium after 30 consecutive home sellouts entering the 2014 season.
“More than $100 million in football projects have been initiated in the last few years. Of that figure, $80 million of it is for the much-anticipated 2014 Davis Wade expansion. A little over 6,000 more seats will be available and the capacity will be over 61,000,” he said. 
Scott Stricklin, director of athletics, said the expanded stadium will provide more opportunities for the fans to be a part of the football experience.
“Some of my favorite additions to the stadium are the bowl shape around the end zone, the brick that matches the surrounding buildings and the Grid Iron. Very little engages people like football does. It’s a great way to get people engaged and keep them engaged,” Stricklin said. “Football is a great love for people in the South. The more people get involved, the better the experience for everyone. As long as the university is here, that stadium will be here, too. It would be hard to imagine a time where it would be any other way.”