HCDC hosts festivals, unites diverse students through P.A.W.S.

The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center (HCDC) prides itself on providing students of all backgrounds with a safe place to grow and develop. The center was first known as the Office of Minority Affairs, but in 1991, it was renamed and dedicated to the first African-American alumnus of MSU, Richard E. Holmes.
To make the transition into university life smooth for transfer, international and freshman students, the HCDC offers a number of services. From cultural diversity workshops, to motivational one-on-one consultations, to hosting multiple inclusive events throughout the year, the HCDC stays busy catering to students.
Ra’sheda Forbes, Assistant Director of HCDC, said their office is not just for one type of student, but for any student who is having a hard time.
“Our main goal is to foster an environment in which students, particularly the unrepresented, can come find a home away from home,” Forbes said. “It is important to know that our office is not just for black students, but for all students. Our office is for any students who have a hard time adjusting to college life.”
Forbes said she loves working with the HCDC and is proud of everything they do for the student body. She also said she is proud of the new student lounge area located in the office.
“I am very proud of the new lounge area,” She said. We renovated our office to make sure we included a space that is just for students. We have created an environment where students can feel comfortable to just come and hang out.”
There are several organizations  the HCDC works with in order to cater to the student body. A few of those organizations include Peers Assisting with Students (PAWS), Black Student Alliance (BSA) and the International Student Advisory Board (ISAB).
Jalyn Johnson, BSA treasurer, said the experiences she has gotten through working with BSA and the HCDC will stay with her.
“Through working with the BSA, I was hoping to gain new friendships and a chance to grow closer to the students of this great university. The BSA and the HCDC always help each other out. If they are having an event, we will most likely join in every time,” Johnson said. “We all strive to enhance the experience of such diverse students.”
Katja Walker, Chair of ISAB, said the HCDC improves bulldog spirit by making sure the estimated 1,000 international students are given opportunities to integrate easily into campus life. 
“The HCDC improves the Bulldog spirit by adding more flavor to it every year,” Walker said. “They host many events on campus which helps domestic students get a better understanding of different cultures and promote diversity on campus. Moreover, their peers assisting with students program helps to boost the morale of incoming freshman students and transfer students to help adjust to campus life.”
Walker said  the HCDC acts as both a friend and a mentor to those who need it.
“A lot of minority and international students do not know where to go if they have problems and HCDC is their go-to place. They can get all the answers they need as well as support. Here they find friends and family,” she said.