MSU provost nominated for University of South Alabama president

BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING NEWS

According to a University of South Alabama news release, Jerry Gilbert, Mississippi State University provost and executive vice president, is a candidate for the University of South Alabama president position.
The news release said over 130 applicants were considered before the USA’s Board of Trustees narrowed the list to three finalists.
Gilbert, who has worked for Mississippi State University for about 25 years, said he enjoys working for MSU and did not actively seek other job opportunities but decided to see where the nomination for USA president would lead.
“It’s really too early to tell what’s going to happen,” Gilbert said. “I’m certainly committed to MSU until something were to develop. I didn’t really start out looking for a new position, but I was nominated and decided to pursue it.”
Gilbert said he has gained valuable experience at MSU during his 25 years as part of MSU’s faculty.
“I’ve had a great experience here at MSU and had a lot of opportunities to learn a tremendous amount in academic affairs,” he said. “USA is a great university, as is MSU. My alma mater is MSU, and I’m totally committed to advance the success of MSU while in the position of provost.”
The news release stated the USA Board of Trustees plans to make a decision by late October.