Burning Up: Sipsy Fires plays Old Venice Sunday, works together to craft first album

Courtesy Photo | No Filter Photography

Sipsy Fires perform Sunday night at Old Venice Pizza Co.

In a basement in a house off of University Drive there is a recording studio. Inside the studio, four guys sit around and enjoy a drink as they listen to music. 

Upon first glance, it may not be obvious that Mark Threet, Phill Thompson, Caleb Childs and Keatzi Gunmoney are more than just four friends relaxing. But together, they form Sipsy Fires, a band Phill Thompson, keyboardist, said formed from the ashes of a previous Starkville group.

“Sipsy Fires is the phoenix of The Mooring Line,” he said. “The Mooring Line died out, and me and Keatzi were what was left, and we just decided to start another band. It just came together really fast, really easy.”

The band’s name comes with an unexpected story as unique as the music the band plays. Gunmoney, lead vocalist, said Sipsy Fires named themsleves after a trip the band took through the Sipsy Wilderness in Alabama. He said the band came together with no intention besides to play music together.

“We are so diverse, and we all come from such diverse musical background. We are able to come together and make it work,” he said. “We didn’t come into this with a genre in mind. We just all played how we usually play.”

Though the band has its own unique sound, Gunmoney said the band adjusts its musical styles at each show to fit the crowd’s tastes. 

Sipsy Fires opened for Space Capone at Rick’s Café Thursday night, and Saturday they play at Old Venice Pizza Co. at 9:30 p.m.

The band members said they enjoy the time they spend together and all the experiences that come along with playing in a band, but Threet, drummer, said it is still a lot of work.

“It basically is a career already. If you think of it like your work schedule, when you are going to work is not optional,” he said. “It’s not like, well, we’ve got three gigs in a row, we can just skip one.’”

The band’s next move is to release an album containing selections of 30 original songs they have written.

“I believe that good recordings of songs are immortal, and people listen to them forever. Right now, the only tangible aspect of our band is our live show,” Gunmoney said. “We don’t have an album or merchandise, but I think they are going to spread like wildfire.”

Though playing local shows is chaotic enough, according to Childs, guitarist, the band will continue to tour outside of Starkville this coming year.

Whether on a strict schedule or just taking things as they come, this varied group finds time to have fun while they make their dreams come true. 

Gunmoney said the band’s common thread may be their ability to alternate between hard-working and easygoing. 

“Maybe our sense of adventure is what sets us apart. We all have a sense of camaraderie in this group,” he said. “We are determined on one hand, and on the other hand we just go with the flow.”