Starkville, smokes, songs: Chris Milam brings acoustic tunes to Cigar Lounge of Starkville tonight

Since the day he picked up a guitar in middle school, music has been a priority in the life of singer-songwriter Chris Milam.

While in college, Milam expanded his musical talents and began to sing. This is where he said his career began.

“I started playing out five or six nights a week while I was still in school. From there, I moved to New York City. Once my touring schedule ramped up to about one-third of the year, I wanted a cheaper homebase,” Milam said.

Milam found his less expensive homebase by going back to his roots, to his hometown of Memphis, Tenn. Moving back home proved to be a good decision for Milam because he said it inspired his EP “Young Avenue.”

“Young Avenue’s a street I used to live on. The record’s kind of obsessed with both youth and the idea of home. The whole EP kind of asks the question, ‘Can you come home again?’” Milam said. “I think it’s a record a lot of young people, especially from around here, can relate to.” 

Lisa Hankes, junior communication major, was an intern for Signal Flow public relations firm in Memphis over the summer. While working at Signal Flow, Hankes got to know Milam because he is one of the firm’s clients. She said Milam’s music is contemporary, yet filled with soul, and Milam’s personality comes out in his music. 

“His style of music is very soulful, and it reminds me a lot of Ben Rector or The Lumineers. It’s just him and his guitar. He has a great voice and a passion for music,” she said. “Chris has a great sense of humor that reflects in his songs.”

Milam plays at the Cigar Lounge of Starkville Friday, free of charge, at 10:30 p.m.

Milam said Friday’s show will be his first stop in the college town, but his expectations are high.

“I’ve never played Starkville before, so I hope it’s the first show of many,” he said. “I’ve heard great things. I’m looking forward to it.”

For more information on Chris Milam, visit chrismilam.com.