Student dies in one-vehicle accident

News
News

Kaleb D. Barker, MSU freshman kinesiology major, died early today in Starkville due to injuries resulting from a one-vehicle accident near campus according to a statement released by University Relations.
Sid Salter, director of University Relations, said the accident was outside of MSU Police jurisdiction.
Michael Hunt, Oktibbeha County’s coroner, said the death occurred when a vehicle backed up in the McDonalds parking lot and fell into the Coldstone parking lot, throwing Barker from the vehicle. He said there is a possibility the car fell on top of Barker.
Hunt said Barker was transported to Oktibbeha County Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery and then was airlifted to University Medical Center in Jackson, Miss.
David Lindley, Starkville Police Chief, was not able to give a statement because the investigation is ongoing.
President Keenum made a statement in regards to the incident.
“The Mississippi State University family is heartbroken today over this very tragic accident,” said Keenum. “Kaleb was a young man with a great deal of promise. We feel a deep sense of grief and our thoughts and prayers will remain with Kaleb’s family and his many friends in Lucedale and here at MSU.”
Thomas Bourgeois, Dean of Students, said MSU plants a tree on campus in loving memory of any student who dies while enrolled.
“It’s a tragedy. Any time the university loses a student it is one of the worst things that can happen,” he said. “We do our best to remember him through stories and thoughts.”