Interns entitled to receive equal compensation for work

Political+Cartoon
James Tracy
Political Cartoon

A court battle has brought unpaid internships to the forefront of discussion in a way that will affect Mississippi State University students who seek or currently hold an intern position.
Two interns from the Oscar-nominated film “Black Swan” and Fox Searchlight and Fox Entertainment Group have battled in the courts since September 2011. The two interns, who represent over 100 Fox Searchlight interns, pressed civil charges against the film company and have reopened Pandora’s box to the world of unpaid internships. 
According to Deadline Hollywood’s article “‘Black Swan’ Interns File Lawsuit,” the interns originally pressed charges citing improper use of interns, including doing work that should have been done by employees working for a wage.
A June 11 court ruling affected both the case and internships as a whole.
In his “TIME” article “Black Swan Event: The Beginning of the End of Unpaid Internships,” Ross Perlin said the Manhattan’s Federal district court’s June 11 decision justified the interns and proved the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 still has consequence.
On Sept. 4, Fox Searchlight and Fox Entertainment group appealed the June decision —this sent the case into second circuit courts for more guidance.
“Most interns at for-profit companies are entitled to be paid minimum wage and overtime, and to receive the same workplace protections as other employees,” Perlin said in his article.
As the lawsuit grows in popularity and influence, its impact might rattle the current climate of internships and MSU students. This lawsuit could spur potential change with internship regulations, including pay and required hours could result in more restrictions and/or less available internships for students. 
The common word associated with practical work experience is “internship.” The purpose of internships is to provide an instructional environment to teach interns the necessary skills and develop work experience. Sometimes this leads to paid and unpaid internships.
Scott Maynard, director of the MSU Career Center, said the center emphasizes that all students should gain practical work experience in their field prior to graduation.
 “The Career Center tries to educate all employers who come through its office to follow the law with overtime pay and unpaid internships,” Maynard said.
Kelsey Smith, senior communication major, said internships are necessary before graduation. 
This summer, Smith was an academic intern for the event marketing team at St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis. It was an unpaid internship.
“I was only allowed to work 20 hours a week,” Smith said. “I got academic credit for it. The people I met and the experience I got were worth it.”
Smith said St. Jude scheduled interns in a way that made sure interns did not work more than their allotted time per week.
Other MSU students performed internships, paid or unpaid, as well.
Regan Byrd, junior geosciences major, was a summer intern at Neel Schaffer engineering firm. Byrd was stationed at the Ridgeland, Miss., location and received pay for her work and time at the office.
“It helped being paid,” Byrd said. “Money management is also very important to learn. Because I was being paid, I wanted to be there and work more hours.”
Affordability and cost are major concerns students share when it comes to internships, according to Maynard.
“I would like to see all internships paid because it levels the playing field and gives more opportunity to students on a fixed income,” Maynard said. “Some people aren’t able to afford to live in Washington, D.C. for a summer.”
The Career Center has negotiated housing prices in D.C. and other places for students.
“We try to do little things like this to help students,” Maynard said.
The Fox Searchlight lawsuit will eventually reach a verdict that affects internships and students across the country,for better or for worse.
For more information about the MSU Career Center, visit its website at www.career.msstate.edu.