Basketball preps for season

Amidst all the talk about Kentucky’s freshman Julius Randle being chosen as preseason SEC Player of the Year, the Lady Vols getting back to their preseason No. 1 ranking, new rules and numerous other topics, the Mississippi State University Bulldog basketball teams rolled into SEC media days under the radar but with a newfound confidence surrounding them.
One of the biggest offseason changes for the Bulldogs came in the form of sophomore Gavin Ware — and literally in his form. Ware has dropped down to 263 pounds after coming in around 290 pounds. While MSU is benefiting from Ware’s new form, restaurants are suffering, especially Waffle House. Ware said he has not been to Waffle House — one of his favorite restaurants — in over two months.
“When I decreased in weight, I gained strength,” Ware said. “I am able to have a longer wind. I’m able to get up and down the floor more quickly and more easily than last year.”
Ware added that head coach Rick Ray told players if they ever see Ware with a cheeseburger in his hand, they should knock it out. Apparently grilled chicken and salads frequent Ware’s diet more often these days.
This new quickness up and down the floor has helped Ware click with freshman point guard I.J. Ready. Ware compared the two to Shaq and Kobe and said the team noticed Ready’s speed the first day he showed up on campus.
“One thing I’ve noticed is he has a motor that never stops. I call him ‘crumb snatcher’ because his defensive skills set is very high,” Ware said. “With I.J., just being able to run the floor nonstop with back-to-back reps and being able to see the floor. His passes are quick and sharp, and that’s what I like about point guards that I play with — they’re quick and are able to see the floor.”
Even though Ready is a newcomer, Ware said he sees him as a leader of the team.
“We motivate each other. If he’s seeing me not run, he’s gonna be like, I need to pick it up,” Ware said. “If I need to pick it up, he will tell me right then and there, and I will just jump on it. It’s kinda awkward having a freshman tell you that, so you’ll want to pick it up.”
But the men are not the only new-look basketball team at MSU. The Lady Bulldogs brought in the fifth-ranked recruiting class in the SEC this year.
Freshmen Chinwe Okorie, a 6’5” center, and Breanna Richardson, a 6’1” forward, have provided even more of a challenge for Gillom Trophy winner Martha Alwal. The junior received the award after averaging 12.1 points and 9.7 rebounds last season.
Head coach Vic Schaefer said these matchups in practice will help the girls prepare for the “biggest, baddest conference in the country.”
“There are days where Martha doesn’t want anything to do with Chenwe. Chenwe’s upside is that she’s out of site,” he said. “With Martha, her challenge is that she has a kid that she can go against every day, and if she can go against her and score and develop, then you can go against anyone in the country.”
The new competition in practice has helped Alwal become more physical in the paint. As for her “meanness” down low, the soft-spoken Alwal said it is still hard for her to have that attitude.
“I still keep to myself a little bit, like ‘Don’t touch me.’ I am really trying hard to be meaner. I have a little mean streak in me,” she said.
Alwal said the team’s goals include making it far in the SEC Tournament, finishing with a 20-win season and advancing to the NCAA Tournament.
Both Bulldog teams have started practice and will open their seasons the first week of November. 
But the Bulldogs themselves are not the only players noticing the changed on the teams. When Florida center Patric Young was asked which conference teams he expected to be good this year, he responded, “Tennessee, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Mississippi State was a lot better this year. They have a lot of good, young guys.”