MSU Food Security Network helps local food pantries fight hunger

Roderick Holmes | Courtesy Photo

MSU student volunteers help MSU Food Security Network by sorting sweet potatoes for a local food drive. The organization connects people in need with nearby services.

Last spring semester, Mississippi State University established the MSU Food Security Network  to help assist students, faculty and staff who face or are at risk of facing food insecurity.  
The program, coordinated by the Maroon Volunteer Center office of student leadership and community engagement, anonymously connects students and other individuals who are in short supply of food to local food pantries in Oktibbeha County. Seven local churches in Starkville operate food pantries: Pinelake Church, Starkville Church of God, Peter’s Rock Temple COGIC, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Sand Creek Chapel Missionary Baptist Church and Josey Creek Missionary Baptist Church. 
Roderick Holmes, volunteer coordinator of MSU Food Security Network, said the program exists to spread awareness of the available food resources and other community entities individuals may need.
“The MSU Food Security Network spreads awareness and lets people know who needs food the resources available to them,” Holmes said.
 Holmes said the MSU Food Security Network serves as the mediator between the local food pantries and needy individuals. 
“We’re kind of the middle man,” Holmes said. “(Applicants) Coming straight through us  allows the processes at the different food pantries to go a little more smoother. The contacts that we’ve made through the food security network locations have already given us the resources applicants need to go there and get what they need. It makes the process quicker.”
In addition to food, Holmes said some of the churches that run food pantries also offer other services such as emotional support housing assistance.
“Some of the churches (help) people who have fallen on hard times,” Holmes said.
Holmes stressed that MSU Food Security Network honors the confidentiality of applicants to the fullest extent.

“We take confidentially very seriously. Any information given to me or the food security network and food pantries is strictly confidential,” Holmes said. “We don’t share any information about applicants with any outside sources unless there is some information given to the food pantries or me that deals with something other than what we are supposed to be referring them to or something that’s not legal.”
Holmes said the food security network only requires basic information such as photo ID, proof of income, if any, and household size information. Additional information may be required for some pantries before assistance is given. Applications for assistance are available in the Maroon Volunteer Center and can also be downloaded in a PDF file form on the MSU website.
In addition to its confidentiality, Holmes said the MSU Food Security network works without prejudice.
“We’re a judgment free zone,” Holmes said. “We don’t tell your business, and we don’t call anyone out on their status or situation. We are here to help you get what you need and that’s it.”
Megan Franks, assistant director of MSU Food Security Network and student leadership and community engagement said the program was inspired by the growing number of food pantries on college campuses across the country.
“A little over a year ago, we were asked about our thoughts about starting a food pantry on campus as there are a number of universities that have food pantries on their campuses,” Franks said. “We did some research and asked the people at the local food pantries what their thoughts were on us having a food pantry on campus, and  several of them said they would be willing to help serve those in need.”
Franks said since Starkville already has several local pantries, instead of establishing one on campus, people at MSU decided to create the food security network to connect people in need to the resources already offered.
“We decided to connect with the local food pantries already in the community,” Frank said. “We got all of the information about their distribution dates, their processes and applications for getting people signed up for the pantries, and we generated a guidebook to start the program.”
Franks said students and staff can inquire about the services through the program via email or phone call to the Maroon Volunteer Center.  Franks also said the food security network informs students about food pantries close by or in walking distance or accessible via shuttle route for those with transportation issues. 
Franks and Holmes said the food security network is needed because, especially with the country’s fragile economy, some students are not financially well off to afford basic necessities.
“Not every student can afford a meal plan, and not every student can rely on help from their parents,” Holmes said.
Johnnie Armstrong, Pinelake Church Care Center food pantry coordinator, said the church started a food pantry in August 2011 for similar reasons.
“Everybody falls victim to hard times, and it’s nothing to be ashamed of,” Armstrong said. “I invite people to come and help and come and see how God feeds people because it’s him that allows us to be able to serve people in need; We’re just his workers. We are so happy to have people come to our pantry because without it, I’m not sure where some of them would eat.”
Armstrong said she believes there will be an increased need for food pantries due to the shaky economy.
“I just think there is gonna be more of a need for food pantries in the future the way people are losing their jobs,” Armstrong said. “We at Pinelake don’t consider it shameful to be in need. We just see it as someone’s circumstances for that time, and we just want to meet that need because at any time in our lives that could be us. We help just as we would want someone to help us.”