Ready cruises in opener

Kaitlin Mullins

Freshman guard I.J. Ready drives the lane in the exhibition game against Auburn-Montgomery. Ready tallied 18 points in his collegiate debut against Prairie View A&M.

After losing its season opener a year ago, the Mississippi State University men’s basketball team started the 2013 season off on the right note as the Bulldogs downed Prairie View A&M 71-56 Friday. The Bulldogs got off to a slow start in the first half but used a key second-half surge to secure the win. The team was sound on defense as the Dogs forced 19 turnovers and limited the opposition to just 38 percent shooting from the field.
    Head coach Rick Ray said he is proud of the way his team came out and played in its regular season debut.
    “I thought our guys responded well, especially down the stretch,” Ray said.  “When you play a team, everybody thinks you’re supposed to blow them out and get an easy win, and that’s really not the case.”
    The Bulldogs used a dominate inside game to help propel them to victory.  The team controlled the boards and out-rebounded the Panthers 51-27. Center Gavin Ware is a big reason why they were able to control the glass as he collected his third career double-double with 15 points and 15 rebounds. Ware’s 15 rebounds are the most by a Bulldog in a single game since Arnett Moultrie in 2011.
    Even though he started off slow in the first half, Ware came on strong in the second half. He said going out and making plays for his team is the only thing he was focused on doing.
    “My teammates kept telling me they were going to keep feeding me the ball, and I have to hold on to it and make plays.  Then once I start making plays, it opens up the court for my teammates,” he said. 
    Newcomer and freshman point guard I.J. Ready transitioned well in his Bulldog debut. Ready made some clutch plays for his team late in the game, hitting a three-pointer as the shot clock ran down and eventually stopping the Panthers’ scoring run.  He also made a crucial steal in the end to seal the game for the Bulldogs.
    Ready played like a poised and experienced player as he led the team with 18 points, dished out two assists and grabbed three rebounds.  Ready said he did not get overwhelmed playing in his first game as a Bulldog.
    “It was great,” he said.  “I went out there, and everything I’ve been doing here since June, I went out there and put it on the court for my team. I really don’t care about anything but winning. That’s all I tried to do.”
    Having a point guard like Ready adds a dimension that the team was missing last year due to injuries. He is able to make plays and open things up for everyone else around him. Ray said he expects Ready to bring leadership at the point guard position this season.
    “He has the willingness and courage to go out there and make plays, and as the season continues to progress, I expect more and more to be put on his plate, and I expect him to be a leader,” Ray said.
    The team was without sophomore forward Fred Thomas who had to sit out for participating in an unauthorized charity all-star game this summer.  Thomas will be back with the team as it hosts Kennesaw State Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Humphrey Coliseum.