Reveille yearbook returns

The+Reveille
Elizabeth Lucas | Courtesy Photo
The Reveille

Mississippi State University’s official yearbook, “The Reveille,” continues its preservation of MSU memories with the 2013-2014 print edition that started selling Nov. 20.
“The Reveille” became MSU’s official yearbook in 1898. It was published from 1906 to 2008 but was temporarily renamed “Private 1913” in 1913. It was not produced in 1944 due to paper restrictions of war efforts during World War II.
Ryan Semmes, interim coordinator of the congressional and political research center, said prior to 1898, MSU did not have yearbooks but instead had catalogs that served as yearbooks to students.
“The catalogs show who graduated and what awards were given but lacked photography,” Semmes said. “We still find out info about students prior to 1898 thanks to the catalogs. They were a big help when we took ‘The Reveille’ digital last year.”
Semmes said the yearbook’s name, “The Reveille,” originated from a type of music that was played, used to wake up military units at MSU.
“MSU used to be a military and agricultural college,” he said. “We have a lot of photos of old cadets that are unidentified. We are still working with the photos and uncovering them and will be putting them online in the near future.” 
The rivalry began in the 1800s, but the Egg Bowl competition began almost 90 years ago in 1927. In 1926, when MSU was still Mississippi A&M College, Ole Miss won a particular game after a continuous losing streak. The Ole Miss fans were so excited they stormed the Mississippi A&M field and attempted to tear the goalposts down. Fans from both sides were injured. 
To prevent such events in the future, students of the two schools created the “Golden Egg,” a large egg-shaped trophy given to the winning team. From that point on, the battle between the Bulldogs and the Rebels was referred to as the Egg Bowl. 
Elizabeth Lucas, editor-in-chief of this year’s “Reveille,” said the Student Association and publications committee decided to bring the yearbook back in print this year.
“If we didn’t bring it back this year, it probably wouldn’t make a comeback,” Lucas said. “Since the yearbook was not published last year, we will be featuring a supplement from last year’s activities and major events into this one.”
Lucas said the theme of this year’s “Reveille” will be the “Marine Standard,” as it was the last year it was published.
“The yearbook will feature sections that will contain elements of important events and guest speakers like Condoleezza Rice,” she said. “It will also feature major student activities like Bulldog Bash.”
Lucas said MSU’s “Reveille” is a an important tradition.
“I think it’s neat that I can look back at my mother’s MSU days when she was homecoming queen. Memories are a major part of what makes the MSU tradition special,” she said.
David Nolen, assistant editor and reference librarian at the Ulysses Grant Presidential Library and Congressional and Political Research Center, said people are always interested in university history.
“Bringing back the yearbook is a great thing because it includes sharing people’s experiences and history. This will be something future alumni will appreciate,” Nolen said.
The “Reveille” costs $50 per book. Students can purchase a book by logging into MyState, and clicking “Order Reveille” in the top right hand corner.