Student’s shining smile remains in memories after tragic death

Kaitlyn Gex | Courtesy Photo

Dane Knight shared a love for Christmas with his roommates, Kaitlyn Gex and Alex Maxwell. They put up a full-size Christmas tree early on Nov. 5. Knight, who died on Nov. 8, studied biological sciences at MSU and wanted to attend nursing school. Knight’s friends remember his smile brightening their day. 

Dane E. Knight, sophomore biological sciences major at Mississippi State University, died Nov. 8.
Billy Miller, Oktibbeha County Deputy Coroner,  said the police department received a call at 11:02 p.m. last Friday night from 74 Loch Lane in the Highlands. 
Sid Salter, director of Public Affairs, said there is incredible sadness when a young life full of promise is cut short. 
“Mississippi State University greatly values each member of our university family, and our thoughts and prayers are with Dane Knight’s family and friends during this very difficult time,” he said.
The memorial service for Knight was at Our Lady of the Gulf Catholic Church in Bay St. Louis, Miss., Wednesday.
Friends said one of the most memorable things about Knight, a Bay St. Louis native, was his bright smile.
Colleen Rafferty, freshman human sciences major and friend, said there was never a dull moment with Dane.
“He was always laughing and smiling. He always made sure that everyone around was having a good time,” Rafferty said.
Friends said Knight could walk into a room of strangers and light it up.
Kaitlyn Gex, freshman and Knight’s former roommate, said Knight looked forward to coming home to the Coast and having bonfires with friends.
“We were kind of inseparable. His all-time favorite singer and group was Carrie Underwood and Matchbox 20,” she said. “I remember he would always make me stop talking whenever a song of Carrie’s would play.”
Gex said Knight never thought it was too early to celebrate Christmas.
“We shared a love for Christmas so much that in our house we put up a full-size Christmas tree on Nov. 5,” she said.
Christy Parnell, sophomore biological sciences major, said Knight’s unique personality would draw people in, and his smile was like the warmth of the sun.
“He loved being outdoors. He would always say he wanted to go kayaking and water rafting more, since he’d only been a couple times,” she said. “Dane loved to run too. Not really on a track but mostly on campus or in the Highlands. Boating and playing beach volleyball back at home on the coast were really some of his favorite things to do.”
Parnell said she has known Knight since they both were three years old, and he would always brighten her day.
“I was his friend because he was a good person,” she said. “He was the type of person you would always want to see every day. He would do this Pinocchio dance saying, ‘I’m a wooden little boy,’ and it would be really funny because he was so lanky. He would also ‘twerk’ on the wall when we were being silly. You really wouldn’t see that side of him unless you were close to him.”
Austa Chasez, junior at the University of Mississippi and friend, said she met Knight about three summers ago when they worked together as lifeguards at Barnacle Bills Water Park in Waveland, Miss.
“The first thing I noticed about him was how funny he was,” she said. “He was also very smart and graduated with honors from St. Stanislaus College in 2012.”
Chasez said Knight drove a Dodge truck that he named “The Green Machine.”
“I will miss the way he was so bubbly and how he could always make me laugh,” she said.
Knight received the Character Cup award his senior year and was a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Key Club, March for Life and Yearbook Staff at St. Stanislaus College.
Gex said Knight was not recently involved in anything at MSU, but he had plans to go to nursing school next year.
Rafferty said Knight was very religious and demonstrated his faith through attending church and working with Kairos and Search retreat team.
“He had big goals for himself and was very determined to make them all happen,” she said. “Dane never hated anyone; no one hated Dane. He was an all-around great guy.”