Rosco Bandana rocks Rick’s

Emma Katherine Hutto

Rosco Bandana opens for Cage the Elephant at the 2013 Old Main Music Festival. The band plays at Rick’s Thursday and brings it eclectic, upbeat mixture of folk and rock back to Starkville after opening for Fun. in the Hump in October.

Rosco Bandana, a Gulfport-based indie folk rock band, returns to Starkville for the third time to perform at Rick’s Café on Thursday.

The band’s music combines the Southern twang of folk music with the edgier, more upbeat flair of rock. The members of Rosco Bandana list several musical inspirations from both schools of music and cite artists such as Eisley, My Morning Jacket, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan and Elliot Smith as influences on the band’s sound.

Though the band members know their influences, Jenny Flint, singer and percussionist, said her main source of musical inspiration is whatever floats to the surface when the band plays.

“It’s just what comes out of us,” Flint said.

The band’s music is as fluid, grooving and laid-back as its name. Just as the band’s sound amalgamates multiple sounds, Flint said the band pulled from various sources to craft its name. 

“We wanted to incorporate ‘bandana’ because of its iconic symbolism that grooved well with our sound,” Flint said. “I really like this band Midlake, and they have a beautiful song called Roscoe. So I took it, dropped the ‘e,’ and added Bandana.” 

Rosco Bandana has played in Starkville twice before on large stages. They opened for Cage the Elephant during Super Bulldog Weekend 2013, and they were an opening act for Fun. in October.

Emily Sholes, vocalist and keyboardist for the band, said she enjoys playing at Mississippi State University because it feels like home, and the band has had constant opportunities to play with popular acts at MSU. 

“They (Mississippi State students) make a great audience,” Sholes said. “Cage the Elephant was such an inspirational band to play with. They were all so nice and down to earth. And Fun. is great, too, so it was pretty surreal getting to play with and meet those guys. I wish I could have captured those moments in a bottle.”

Rosco Bandana will play four more shows in three different states before the end of the year, including a show in Orlando, Fla., where it performs at the Hard Rock Café with country music star Dierks Bentley.

Jason Stanford, lead singer and guitarist, said traveling is one highlight of the band’s journey so far, as well as opening for big-name bands in its home state.

“(I love) just getting to see the beautiful land of America and discovering and playing with some great bands along the way,” Stanford said. “It’s humbling getting to open for bands of that caliber. When it comes down to it, they’re just really nice people. It was cool getting to see the great productions they put on.”

Rosco Bandana’s breakout album, “Time to Begin,” can be found on iTunes and Spotify, and  the band’s  music video for its song “Woe is Me” has been featured on MTV.com.

Flint said the band’s growing fanbase and success comes along with its hard work, and the growth feels rewarding.

“I don’t think that feeling will ever stop,” Flint said. “I will never stop being proud of myself and my band mates for our hard work that pays off so nicely.”

Sholes said she continues to stay grounded despite the band’s accomplishments.

“We appreciate every bit of support we get,” Sholes said. “It is really cool to say I am a part of something that has been featured on MTV, but I don’t let Rosco’s status get to my head. It is easy to get lost in the clouds, but I feel staying grounded is very important.”

Rosco Bandana’s news and calendar can be found on RoscoBandana.com as well as Facebook.com/RoscoBandana and on Twitter @RoscoBandana.