SA Vice Presidential Candidate Q&A: Walton Chaney

Q: What has the vice president done in the past you would like to expand, continue or improve upon?
A: “I really want to increase our constitutional accountability, and I really want to work with the attorney general to make sure that all the policies that we implement are carried out.”

Q: What are some of your main goals you’d like to accomplish if elected vice president?
A: “A lot of times candidates come in on all positions talk about transparency. I really think the word transparency gets overused a lot. We have things in place to have transparency, but we just don’t have those clauses in the constitution that keep us accountable, that we’re constitutionally bound to do things, and if you don’t have anybody that’s going to enforce that policy, then there’s no real drive to get it done, so really, accountability from day one.”

Q: What aspects of the job do you think need reform?
A: “I really want to make sure that the senators are made readily available. Right now, our senate contact information is from two terms ago, and if people don’t know their senators, and if they don’t have a way to access their senators they’re not going to be able to push for legislation. If they don’t have a way to keep updated with what the senate is doing right now, the last senate minutes posted on the SA website right now are from Nov. 29, 2011, nobody knows what’s going on because we don’t keep things updated. Really, just a connectivity push to get everybody on the same page because without updated contact information and without updated minutes, then nobody has a clue with what’s going on in the senate.”

Q: How do you hope to improve the experience of the average student?
A: “I feel like one of the big things that we have been pushing from the beginning is a platform that I believe in and that really reaches a large, large percentage of students, not just those geared directly towards the Student Association. There are a lot of people out there who are involved, but there is a much larger majority who are not. We’re really pushing for online ticket sales for football tickets. We sell about 11,000 tickets a year so that affects that large percentage of students. I have a big portion of the platform that concerns transfers students and those students who are transferring credits from another institution and making that process a lot smoother and easier. Really, not just focusing on those who might be a part of a committee, or a senator, or on cabinet, but really focusing on the entire student body as a unit, as opposed to those who are super involved.”