Taming the Beast

As the sky gets bluer and the temperature rises, anticipation for Cage the Elephant’s performance at the Mississippi State University ampitheatre Saturday as headlining act for the Old Main Music Festival rises. Saturday night the sounds of a vivacious rock band blasting from stacks of amplifiers will fill the air of Starkville and MSU’s campus.
Sarah Margaret Hewes, artist relations chair of MSU’s Music Maker Productions, said members of MMp are very excited about having Cage the Elephant come to Starkville due to the band’s energy and perfect fit for an open-air amphitheater.
“We are really happy about the band choice. Cage the Elephant puts on a great live show, one of the best ones that I have seen,” she said. “They are extremely energetic and the venue of the amphitheater on campus is perfect for them. The band plays really well in outdoor venues so we are looking forward to their performance.”
Cage the Elephant has been making strides in the music industry and currently looks forward to touring as the opening act for Muse beginning in summer of 2013. The band also toured with The Black Keys during summer of 2011.  Members of MMp said they hope since the band is quickly growing in popularity, a large number of people will attend Cage the Elephant’s performance and all the night’s shows, including opening acts Pell, Ty Brown and Rosco Bandana.
The Old Main Music Festival will begin at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Admission to the festival is free, a decision made by members of MMp which eliminates the need for security to prevent people from sneaking into the outdoor concert. Hopes of drawing a larger crowd also affected the decision to charge no admission fee. Hewes said the members of MMp feel that keeping the event free allows students, alumni and other patrons uninhibited access to an evening of quality music.
“We are really hoping for a good turn out this weekend. The show is free , and the Music Makers are all very excited about being able to bring a band as good as Cage the Elephant to Starkville without charging those who want to attend,” she said.
Music Maker Productions expects Cage the Elephant’s loud lyrics and energetic performance to provide a more vivacious atmosphere compared to past Old Main Music Festivals. Little commonality exists between the 2012 festival’s main act, Sugarland, and this year’s Cage the Elephant, but the diversity of musicians brought by members of Music Makers allows varied music genres to come through Starkville and bring entertainment to people who have alternative taste in music.
With a fervent, lively sound and a genuine rock and roll attitude, Cage the Elephant holds potential to deliver a rambunctious performance Saturdaythat will bring new energy to the Old Main Music Festival.