Softball seeks to continue dominance against Rebs

After two disappointing losses Friday and Saturday against No. 3 Florida, the Mississippi State Bulldogs bounced back Sunday to get their first win over a top-three team in over 11 years. This win also snapped a 17-game losing streak against the Gators. 
This win would not have been possible without the gutsy performance by pitcher Alison Owen.
Owen (13-6, 1.68 ERA) went five innings with four strikeouts while only giving up one hit. Junior catcher Sam Lenahan said she has enjoyed catching for Owen and believes her mental toughness sets her apart on the mound.
“It has been a real pleasure to be able to catch for her,” Lenahan said. “One thing she does a really good job at is not letting things affect her. Even if she gives up a hit or walks somebody, she will come back to the next batter and strike them out or pop them up. It has been really great to have her out on the field this year, and I look forward to what else she can do.”
Throughout the year, the Bulldogs have been battling back after close losses. This proves this team is strong mentally and does not live in the past. Head coach Vann Stuedeman said she is especially proud of how her Bulldogs have been able to keep their heads up after disappointing losses.
“I think we have definitely grown and matured mentally in that part of the process, and it takes that to get through a season like this,” Stuedeman said. “In this league, you have to be mentally tough and look through the windshield and not the rearview mirror. You have to realize that at any point anybody in our league can win a game.”
The Bulldogs will certainly be looking ahead this weekend as they face archrival Ole Miss. The Rebels (21-23, 2-13 SEC) broke an eight-game losing streak Sunday against the Auburn Tigers and also won their mid-week matchup against Arkansas Pine-Bluff. The Rebels will also be looking for redemption since the Bulldogs swept them last season in Oxford. Junior Logan Foulks, however, said she believes the team is definitely up for the challenge.
“I think every rivalry, especially when you are trying to represent your state, definitely ups the level of intensity a lot,” Foulks said. “It gives us something to work for besides just a win, especially when we want to win for our fans. All of that will have a factor in it, but you have to just come out here and believe in the process and look at the scoreboard at the end of the game and see what happens.”
On Friday, 80 Dawg bones will be hidden in the Junction, and whoever finds a bone and brings it to the softball game will receive a prize. Students can bring a maximum of two bones per person. Prizes include $50 Visa gift cards, a Dan Mullen autographed football helmet, an autographed baseball and softball, gift cards to local Starkville restaurants and more. Also, 250 t-shirts will be given out.
Former MSU defensive back Johnthan Banks will throw out the first pitch Friday night.
At Saturday’s 1 p.m. game, 100 Hail State sunglasses will be given away and a celebrity home run derby will take place after the game. Contestants include Banks, Athletic Director Scott Stricklin, Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman, women’s basketball coach Vic Schaefer, a football representative, Greek Life representatives and others.
Sunday’s 1 p.m. game is the “Strike out cancer” game for breast cancer awareness. For the game, 100 pink nerf softballs will be given out, and breast cancer survivors will be honored.
Stuedeman said she believes this past weekend’s performance will be a great teaching tool in the preparation for what is sure to be a hard-fought series with the Rebels.
“It is a lot of good momentum and the girls feel good, but at the same time we do not want to stray from what has gotten us to this point as well as working hard and continuing to improve,” Stuedeman said. “You are not going to stay the same. You are either going to get worse or get better. We are putting a big emphasis on that this week.”
State leads the overall series with the Rebels and has dominated as of late. The Bulldogs have also won five straight against the Rebels. The Friday night matchup will begin at 7 and will be broadcast on ESPNU.