Fourth annual Relay for Life begins Friday

Activities for Mississippi State University’s fourth annual Relay for Life fundraiser for cancer research begins Friday and will continue until Saturday morning.
JuLeigh Baker, staff adviser for Relay for Life, said the relay begins at 1 p.m. and ends at 1 a.m. on Saturday, with a survivor celebration lap at 6 p.m. and a luminary ceremony at 9 p.m.
Baker said MSU celebrities including athletic director Scott Stricklin, football coach Dan Mullen and former Lieutenant Governor Amy Tuck will serve a barbecue lunch in the Junction at 11 a.m. for a recommended donation of $7 per plate.
Heather Richardson, chair of the Relay for Life planning committee, said the committee is affiliated with Colleges Against Cancer, a nationwide organization devoted to eliminating cancer.
Baker said the fundraising goal for this year’s Relay for Life is $37,000, and the committee is well on it’s way to reaching this goal.
Richardson said many campus organizations, including Maroon VIP, Alumni Delegates and the Longest Student Health Center are sponsoring teams in the relay.
Baker said many teams will sell food during the event, and several teams will offer activities such as photo booths, dunking booths, face painting and games.
Baker also said the planning committee is sponsoring a Hunger Games-themed event in which teams can donate money to provide competitors in the games with weapons such as water guns.
Richardson said the committee has planned numerous entertainment events during the relay, including a concert by country singer Skylar Lane, a womanless beauty pageant and performances by local musicians.
Richardson added the committee will host a silent auction featuring items such as paintings, handmade crafts and MSU sports memorabilia.
Baker said the atmosphere of the relay is comparable to that of a football tailgate.
“It’s like a tailgate to celebrate cancer survivors and to raise money for cancer research,” she said.