Off to their best start in March, clutch hitting powers Bulldogs

At 20-6 the Mississippi State softball team is off to its third best start in school history. The Bulldogs’ current 13-game non conference win streak is also the third best in school history, and State’s 11-2 start to March is the best start to the month of March ever.
Although the MSU pitching staff has received much of the praise this season – deservedly so as the staff leads the SEC in both opponent batting average and strikeouts – the Bulldog bats have come alive right when SEC play begins to heat up.
Junior catcher Sam Lenahan, who has reached base in 19 consecutive games and is third in the SEC in on base percentage, said the Dogs are clicking at the right time and excited about the upcoming weekend series at No. 21 Kentucky.
“I think everyone has really bought into the process and is focused on playing one pitch at a time,” Lenahan said. “Everyone has really come together. Everyone is finding their barrels, and we’ve all been picking each other up when we’ve needed it, and it’s been awesome to watch.”
Last weekend State bested College of Charleston twice and Charleston Southern and scored 12 runs in back-to-back games for the first time since 2007. Lenahan had eight RBIs and a home run, and junior transfer Logan Foulks finished with seven RBIs and a homer on the weekend.
The big bats of Lenahan and Foulks were not the only hot bats at the plate, however. Redshirt sophomore Briana Bell knocked in nine runs and blasted three home runs over the weekend. Bell, who missed all of last year with a torn labrum in her shoulder, had hit just two home runs in her last 86 at bats but now has five long balls in her last 28 at bats.
Assistant coach Alan Reach said Bell matured as she gained a new perspective watching games from the dugout last season.
“She’s hungry, focused and more mature,” Reach said. “We’ve always believed in her. We know she’s got great hands, great eyes and good physical strength. Her potential is incredible. I really believe in Bri and her ability to hit in this league. She’s an SEC hitter.”
Bell credited Reach and assistant coach Beth Mullins for helping with her approach and building her confidence.
“Coach Reach and Coach Mullins are absolutely amazing. I love them, and they’re some of the best hitting coaches I’ve had in my entire life,” Bell said. “They’re so energetic, and they teach you and you learn every pitch. Every at bat they’re feeding you feedback and sending you constant reminders that they’re confident in you.”
In addition to Bell’s return this season, Foulks’s transfer from North Carolina has benefited the Bulldog lineup in numerous ways. Foulks is in the midst of a career-long 13-game hitting streak and leads the team with seven home runs. Batting clean-up behind Lenahan, Foulks forces opposing pitchers to give the hitters in front of her better pitches.
Reach said both the presence and production of Foulks have added immensely to the MSU lineup.
“Her presence kind of keeps things loose and has the perspective of playing one pitch at a time… That’s helped everyone,” Reach said. “A lot of times one hitter can make a huge difference in a lineup. She’s nowhere near her potential. We’re excited about what she’s doing, but she’s nowhere near where she can be.”
If a .683 slugging percentage and a .366 batting average is just the start for Foulks, opposing pitchers will continue to have a tough time getting through the heart of this lineup.
With a three-game series at Kentucky starting today, the Dogs will look to continue their hot-hitting against conference pitchers. Mullins said the key to continuing to hit these pitchers is staying consistent.
“We talk about it all the time. Just work the process, work the process. We’re not worried about the result. The more you work it, you will get the results,” Mullins said. “We try to put ourselves as if we’re playing in the world series every game, so if you keep that mindset, then you’re going to be as consistent as you can be.”