MSU hosts seventh annual Ragtime Jazz Festival

This weekend Mississippi State University will host the seventh annual Charles Templeton Ragtime Jazz Festival.

Mitchell Memorial Library and the Charles Templeton, Sr., Music Museum sponsor the festival.

The festival will host musical artists beginning at 7:30 p.m. in McComas Hall. All performances are free to MSU students.

A unique form of American music, ragtime historically preceded the introduction of jazz.

Ragtime is characterized by its distinct syncopation and its derivation from reggae and African music.

Stephen Cunetto, Ragtime Festival co-chair, said there will be some interesting additions to this year’s lineup.

“We’ll have Frederick Hodges, one of the performers, playing and accompanying a silent film. That’s not an opportunity you get to see everyday,” Cunetto said.

The film accompaniment will take place Saturday at 1 p.m.

Additionally, Cunetto said the festival will feature the headlining ragtime musicians in the Templeton Room.

“The performers are sitting in the museum, the Templeton room, and we have two pianos set up and they are going to be able to talk about their music, their life, their career and play different pieces that mean a lot to them,” Cunetto said. “It’s kind of an informal, unplugged performance.”

The jazz performances will take place Friday and Saturday night. Friday night’s performance will be Jeff Barnhart and Brian Holland. Frederick Hodges and Sonny Leyland will conclude the festival Saturday evening.

Cunetto also said the festival is a great opportunity for students to expand their music knowledge and explore MSU’s museum collection.

“I know seeing ragtime or hearing ragtime might not sound like it’s the most fun, but when students come out and hear it, they’ll really get enthusiastic about it,” Cunetto said. “And it’s an opportunity to learn more about the museum and the collection the university owns.”

Caleb Holder, sophomore biological engineering major, attended the festival last year and said it was a great experience.

“I think students should go because there are really good musicians. I really liked when the two musicians would play at the same time. It was really cool,” Holder said.

Those interested in going can find additional information and complete schedule of events at library.msstate.edu/ragtime/festival/schedule.html.