Starting pitchers shine: Bulldogs secure series sweep over Mount St. Mary’s

Brooks Surber

Mississippi State University baseball swept the Mount Saint Mary’s Mountaineers in a three-game series behind strong pitching performances.

The Bulldogs won Thursday’s game 12-2 and Saturday’s doubleheader matches 7-2 and 6-0.

Junior pitcher Nate Dohm got the start for Thursday’s afternoon game. He had a quick five-pitch first inning, which kept him loose, allowing no hits until the 4th inning. He finished the day with only 78 pitches and eight strikeouts in seven innings.

“For me, today my fast ball was working,” Dohm said. “And the ability to kind of work on my changeup this week and get it better, and I was able to use that for some good pitches to getting some good ground balls there.”

Saturday was a doubleheader for the Bulldogs. Junior pitcher Khal Stephen was on the mound for the first game of the day. Though he allowed one hit in the first, he was able to strike out two batters, and MSU caught a runner trying to steal a base.

Through six innings, Stephen allowed six hits with zero runs and nine strikeouts in 93 pitches. He was able to secure his first win of the season.

“I think it was good,” Stephen said. “I think just getting off to a good start there in the first inning getting that first guy. Just being able to get my feet down and feel comfortable right there in the first inning.”

Sophomore Jurrangelo Cijntje started the last game Saturday afternoon. The ambidextrous pitcher tallied 10 strikeouts and only allowed two hits in just over six innings. Head coach Chris Lemonis called the overall performance of his starters great, and he was pleased with Jurrangelo’s ability to come back on short rest.

“The thing about Jurrangelo is that it’s better in the 6th than it is in the 1st, it’s always been like that,” Lemonis said. “You’re seeing him really grow right now. He’s just been really good.”

The starting pitchers combined for 27 strikeouts and allowed only one run. Dohm and Cijntje are now 2-0 on the season while Stephen is 1-1.

For hitting, sophomore David Mershon had the hot hand for the first two games. Mershon went 3-3 at bat Thursday and 3-4 in Saturday’s first game. His one hit in the 3rd game was an RBI single. He finished the series with three RBI’s.

Freshman shortstop Dylan Cupp hit well for the series. He hit well with runners in scoring position, tallying four RBI, including a two RBI double in the bottom of the 7th in the 3rd game to expand State’s lead.

Dakota Jordan got his 4th home run of the season on Saturday with a 411-foot ball that brought the final two runs of the 7-2 victory.

The Bulldogs have won five straight games and look ahead to their next matchup Tuesday against The University of Southern Mississippi. Senior transfer Connor Hujsak said this series sweep against Mount St. Mary’s feels great.

“We’re real close to turning this into something special,” Hujsak said. “I mean we’re just trying to take it game by game right now and win every single inning.”

Daniel Grisham
Daniel Grisham, Staff Writer
Daniel Grisham is a senior English major. Daniel is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.