Starkville to vote on food tax

A town hall meeting last night introduced plans to renew a two percent food and beverage tax, which serves as one of the city’s only ways to generate revenue apart from property taxes.
    The current tax, which has been in effect since 1994, expires in June 2005. Community officials are discussing allocations for the revenue from this tax should it be renewed, said Mayor Mack Rutledge in his newsletter.
    Tentative plans include a workshop to hear any proposals for uses of the revenue.
    The workshop will be held Jan. 22 at 7 p.m. at City Hall. A formal vote is expected to take place next week. If the bill passes, it will be sent to the Mississippi Legislature. If approved by the legislature, a referendum may take place in late 2004 or early 2005.
    Revenue from the tax is currently divided among the different organizations in Starkville, such as the Parks and Recreation department, the Oktibbeha County Economic Development Authority and the Starkville Convention and Visitor’s Bureau.
    While Mayor Mack Rutledge said that uses for the tax have yet to be decided, he expects to see some of the money benefiting public transportation.
    “The proceeds of the tax could very well go to the new shuttle service,” he said.
    Student Association President Josh Blades said the SA’s specific concerns are public transit, a convention center for the university, and entertainment for the students, such as Bulldog Bash and Downtown Music Festival.
    “The students will support the two percent tax if and only if we get our fair share of the revenue,” Blades said.