Additions improve local lake’s appearance, facilities

Since it opened in 1967, Oktibbeha County Lake hasn’t always been a lake that would take an outdoorsman’s breath away. However, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks and the Oktibbeha County Board of Supervisors are giving it a new image.
    “It’s been known for years for its large catfish,” said Lake Manager Charlie Sanders. “Large blues and channel catfish weighing 30 pounds and more are not uncommon.”
    Largemouth bass, bluegill and crappie are also common species found in the lake.
    Improvements by the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks include a new double-wide boat ramp that is located at the entrance of the lake. Along the boat ramp is a courtesy ramp where anglers can tie up and load their boats safely.
    For those anglers who do not have access to a boat, two piers are available. Both piers are handicap accessible and provide good access to bream and catfish hotspots.
    A new pavilion has also been built to suit large groups and parties. The pavilion offers groups a chance to cook, picnic or just enjoy a good view of the lake.
    Plans are also being completed to reconstruct the campground area. Plans include electrical and water hookups in the camping area and a dump station for the larger camping rigs.
    Along with fishermen and campers, bird watchers will also find Oktibbeha County Lake a refuge during the spring and summer months. Summer tanagers, indigo buntings, prothonotary warblers, acadian flycatchers, orchard orioles and many other species of birds make this lake home for several months.
    “Right now, the best thing that could happen to us is for people to come by and see for themselves what’s happening at Oktibbeha County Lake and what we have to offer those who love fishing and the outdoors,” Sanders said.
    Jake Fagan can be reached at [email protected].