University seeking developers for 17.3 acre property

A conference will be held Jan. 29 in the Hunter Henry Center to discuss potential plans for the future of the property that is now home to MSU’s physical plant.
    Student Association President Josh Blades said private developers have looked into developing the site into a private center for the past two years. The university has been courting developers to sell the property for commercial use, while relocating the plant.
    Melvin Ray, special assistant to President Charles Lee, said that in mid-December the university began advertising the sale of the 17.3-acre area in newspaper advertisements in over six states.
    The university received contacts from 11 businesses before it began sending proposal requests. Proposals are expected to be officially offered and considered in May or June.
    “This is something MSU feels will benefit both the university and local community; we hope it will become a destination point that students, faculty, and the local community can all enjoy and be proud of,” Ray said.
    One problem has been that several potential developers want for the university to guarantee that the property would attract a guaranteed amount of business from visitors and guests-something the university has been unwilling to do, Ray said.
    While the university has no direct control over property development if it is sold, it has requested that developers consider building businesses that could serve as a magnet for tourism, students and faculty, Ray said.
    Requests included developing the area into a conference and commercial center, complete with restaurants and boutiques.
    “We are looking for the developers to come in and help create a center that is attractive for the local community, including students, faculty and citizens from around the area,” Ray said.
    Ray said that because of its location, the Cooley building is a “western front door to the university.”
    Starkville Mayor Mack Rutledge said if the property is sold to developers, it could have significant effects on the community and its relationship with the university.
    “I think it would be a greater step toward integrating the campus and the city, with the potential to attract more conventions or tourists to the community,” Rutledge said. “I greatly support it.”