Advice for survival in school

When I came to MSU in 1999, I was somewhat overwhelmed. In high school I could basically name all of the people in my graduating class. When I came here, I probably knew 10 or 15 people out of thousands.
    Now, after six years and almost two degrees, I have come to know and love MSU and Starkville. In retrospect, I have realized that the foundation that I laid my freshman year is the reason I am here now.
    There are a few things that new students must do to survive and thrive in this new environment.
    First, get involved on campus. There are over 300 different registered student organizations here on campus. The organizations range from religious to social to educational. These groups are a great way to learn things about MSU.
    Group involvement is also a great way to meet new people. You can also meet people who you will know for the next 40 or 50 years.
    Second, get to know your instructors. MSU will have some classes that have from 150 to 250 people. Despite this, make yourself stand out. Introduce yourself to your professor. Go by their office and chat with them sometime. Sit in the front of their class and take good notes.
    Remember, professors have been where you are. They know what it is like to be a student at a large university. Despite what you may have heard, they are not out to see you fail. Many instructors hate to fail their students.
    Lastly, you must remember why you are here. Simply put, you will not be here very long if you do not go to class and study. Sleeping in and taking tests on a wing and a prayer will land you back at home.
    You have to put forth effort. MSU is an institution of higher learning. It does not make sense to waste money. In these times of rising tuition, parents do not want to pay for schooling if their child is not taking it seriously.
    Keep it in context, though. I am not saying there is no room for anything other than school. There will be plenty of parties to go to. If you have to choose between studying for that exam or going to a party, it should be an easy choice.
    But it is also okay to find a girlfriend or boyfriend and do other things. You can take road trips and party until you drop as long as you take care of school first. It all comes down to prioritizing and making sure that school is always at the top of the list.
    The hardest thing for many people to handle in college is the freedom. You are all adults and you are treated accordingly when you reach this level. There is no one standing over you watching your every move. There is no one to urge you on and tell you that you need to get an assignment done. Each student has a certain level of autonomy in college. It will be up to each individual to stay focused and discipline themselves to do the things necessary to be successful in college.
    Nyerere Tryman is a graduate student in public policy and administration. He can be reached at [email protected].