Starkville survives storm with little damage

Storms from Hurricane Ivan managed to dump an estimated 3.5 inches of rain and generated wind gusts of up to 72 mph, which caused some power outages and downed trees in several locations across Oktibbeha County and Starkville Thursday.
    There were no storm-related injuries reported, but Bill Parker, husband of Esther Howard-Parker, professor and head of curriculum and instruction at MSU, was killed in neighboring Noxubee County when he was struck by a falling tree limb due to extremely strong winds. Noxubee County officials said Parker was helping neighbors remove a tree limb from their home.
    Jim Britt, Oktibbeha County emergency management director, said that some buildings on campus were without electricity during the evening. Crews worked there and around the county to restore power that had been knocked out by tree limbs that had fallen on power lines.
    “We had some localized flooding around the city and county, and some roads in the county were blocked by high water for a bit, but they’ve since been opened back up,” Britt said.
    Russell Street and Lampkin Street experienced minor flooding due to the excessive amount of rain caused by the storm.
    Ivan affected many students at Mississippi State University. Some students housed family members and other evacuees affected by Hurricane Ivan.
    “I had 21 people in my home from Pearlie Pascagoula, Fla.,” said Tracy Jackson, a senior in elementary education. “Friday morning, everyone packed up to return back to their homes.”
    “Pearlie Pascagoula was left pretty much intact after the storm. The power was out for a couple a days and the roads were flooded, but the overall condition of my family’s home was pretty good,” Jackson added.
    Keeyon Scott, a junior communication major, said he was in turmoil Wednesday and expressed concern for his family in Gulfport. State officials called a mandatory evacuation of the area. However, 24 hours later residents were flocking back to their homes. Luckily, storm evacuees from Gulfport. returned home Friday to very little damage to their homes, Scott said. Hurricane Ivan was expected to hit Gulfport hard, but left the city with minimal damage.
    Residents of Florida are still cleaning up the aftermath of Hurricane Frances and are now faced with the remnants of Ivan. Volunteers from the American Red Cross are calling on local residents to donate funds toward storm relief efforts in Florida.
    “The Oktibbeha County chapter would like for our residents to remember that Red Cross volunteers came from all over the United States to help us after the February 2001 storm,” said Cerese Teel, executive director of the Oktibbeha County Red Cross chapter. “Now it’s time for our county to help others.”
    “The American Red Cross’ resources are being stretched to the limit due to ongoing relief efforts for families affected by Hurricanes Charlie and Frances, and now Hurricane Ivan,” Teel said. “Even Red Cross staff is being reassigned to the affected areas because most of our volunteers are already deployed.”
    “Monetary donations are sorely needed to help in providing food and other supplies to storm victims, and the Oktibbeha County chapter has been asked to generate $7,000 in donations,” Teel added.
    In addition to local residents, students can help by calling 1-800-HELP-NOW or by visiting the Red Cross Web site at www.redcross.org for donations.
    Donations can be mailed to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington D.C, 20013. Checks should be made payable to the American Red Cross and earmarked “Disaster Relief Fund.”