Give shelter

When Gov. Haley Barbour declared Mississippi in a state of emergency, he requested that North Mississippians give shelter to their southern relatives and friends. We have all seen the devastation on the coast, so it only makes sense provide for whatever the victims need.
    The response has been overwhelming. People have not only made sure their relatives were safe, but chuches and other organizations have also opened their doors and provided safe shelter to the fleeing people from the coast.
    Starkville has also contributed to Mississippi’s efforts to shelter its own. The First United Methodist Church provided shelter to families who needed it. The university opened Herbert Hall, while the Baptist Student Union provided suppers. And this does not include what the local Red Cross has done in relief efforts.
    We may complain about our own problems and inconvenient weather, but these people have to face the possibility that they may not have any home when they return. They have to wait and watch the storm unfold, trying to find relatives and pray that everyone will be alright.
    What the people who give shelter have done is give these people a respite for the time being. This may happen in other states, but the fact that Mississippi will provide for its neighbors and residents in their hour of need just shows what it’s made of.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Angela Adair, news editor Elizabeth Crisp, assistant news editor Jessica Bowers, sports editor Craig Peters, entertainment editor Dustin Barnes, managing editor Pam McTeer and editor in chief Josh Foreman.