Competitions fill Watermelon week

Lambda Chi Alpha hosted the 22nd annual Watermelon Fest this week to collect canned goods and money for their national philanthropy, the North American Food Drive.
    New sorority members participated in the weeklong competition, including a Spirit Night, a volleyball tournament and a canned food drive, concluding with field games at the Lambda Chi Alpha house today, to earn the title of Watermelon Fest champion.
    Last year, the Lambda Chi chapter at Mississippi State collected around 56,000 pounds of food for the North American Food Drive and the Oktibbeha County Food Bank during Watermelon Fest. Phillip Greer, vice president of Lambda Chi, said the chapter looks to increase this amount this year.
    “We were very successful last year in collecting a large amount of food for our philanthropy, but we hope the contribution is even bigger this year,” Greer said. “We want to collect 60,000 pounds, and we think that is a realistic goal for us.”
    President Josh Roberts said Lambda Chi made changes to Watermelon Fest this year to try to increase participation in their efforts to collect more food for their philanthropy.
    “Even though the week is still geared toward the new sorority members, we tried to get the active sorority members more involved this year,” Roberts said. “The active members can contribute to their chapter’s points by competing in the spirit competition, which includes not just Spirit Night but activities all week long. Also, we included an 80’s theme in this year’s competition to get people more excited and to make the week more fun.”
    To kick the week off, the sorority members competed in a Spirit Night held at the Lambda Chi house Tuesday. The sorority members arrived at the house dressed in 80’s gear to show their spirit as they cheered for their sororities and for the Lambda Chis.
    For new member Hannah Crump, Spirit Night was her favorite part of the week.
    “I think it was the most fun I’ve ever had with a group of girls,” said Crump, a Phi Mu from Winfield, Ala. “I’m so glad to know I could have so much fun but also be helping the Lambda Chis at the same time.”
    A Delta Gamma new member, Sara Buster, said she also enjoyed the week and felt her experience with Watermelon Fest strengthened her friendships among her sorority sisters. “I loved it,” Buster said. “I really feel like I’m a lot closer to my pledge class, and I got the chance to meet a lot of new people.”
    Sorority members earned points in other categories, including a Watermelon Fest queen competition Tuesday, a volleyball tournament and dinner at the Lambda Chi house Wednesday, a party at Rick’s Caf featuring the band U.S. Thursday and a canned food drive, which is worth the most points. According to Roberts, these events are held to make the week fun, while also raising money and canned goods for a good cause.
    “The week is one of the most fun things for us, and we try to make it a fun week for the sorority members, too,” Roberts said. “We do the best we can to make sure they have a good time, but when it comes down to it, it’s really all for our philanthropy.”
    Roberts and Greer extend their appreciation to the sororities and the community for their participation and effort into making this week a successful one for their chapter.
    “We really appreciate all that the sororities have done so far,” Roberts said. “We hope everyone had a great time. We also thank the community for their support and their donations. Without all of these people, this week would not have happened.”
    For more information on the North American Food Drive or the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, please visit http://www.msstate.edu/org/lca. Anyone who wishes to make a donation to this cause, contact 325-6979.