Students work to improve FBI image

A group of 21 Mississippi State marketing students enrolled in Brian Engelland’s capstone marketing class will be working on a plan to improve the FBI’s image among college students.
    The students’ company, Maroon Marketing Consultants, will manage a budget of $2,500 provided by the FBI in conjunction with EdVenture Partners to implement a plan on MSU’s campus.
    At the conclusion of the project, the class will receive a $500 consulting fee that can be used however the class chooses.
    “This is the first time that a marketing class at Mississippi State will implement a plan and receive payment for its services,” Engelland said. “If this project is a success, then maybe next year we will work with another client through EdVenture.”
    Founded in 1990 in Berkley, Calif., EdVenture manages industry-education partnerships between companies and universities. Some of EdVenture’s clients include People magazine, Citicorp, ATF and the National Immigration Service.
    “Mississippi State is one of 30 other schools involved in the project with the FBI,” Engelland said.
    State was selected to be involved in the project by recommendation from Mississippi Sen. Trent Lott, who told the FBI that MSU would be a good candidate, Engelland said.
    “Other participating universities include Arkansas, Texas and Miami,” he added.
    Senior Laura Thompson is serving as budget coordinator for the class. She said she sees this as a valuable opportunity.
    “This project will give me valuable experience for future jobs, and also will show the skills I’ve learned to future employers,” Thompson said.
    The project objectives are to increase the number of competitive candidates, increase awareness within the target market, create marketing strategies for future FBI recruiting and increase awareness and participation in the FBI’s internship programs, according to the FBI Collegiate Marketing and Recruitment Program Handbook.
    The FBI has a goal to recruit 1,100 new agents, and they will turn to MSU to help them obtain that goal. The FBI will use aspects of all participating school’s plans and implement an overall plan of action.
    “Many college students don’t consider the FBI because they think that it is too dangerous or serious. Others think that the FBI lacks diversity and that’s why they don’t apply for jobs,” Engelland said.