Local bars prepare for Halloween debauchery

This Halloween weekend will give MSU students and locals no shortage of fright fests to enjoy. Two local bars, among others, will host Halloween parties this weekend sure to entertain even the most discriminating ghosts and ghouls. The International Bistro and State Theatre in Starkville and Big Kahuna’s in Columbus will offer Halloween activities on Friday night and Sunday night, respectively.
    First off, the State Theatre will host its Fourth Annual Halloween Ball Friday night starting around 9 p.m. The Bistro will give away a cash prize to the person with the best costume. It will also have local band, the Rum Drunks, playing that night. The Rum Drunks will cover a popular CD for the ball, which in the past, has ranged from Guns & Roses’ “Appetite For Destruction” and The Beatles’ White Album.” This year’s CD will be kept secret until the time the Rum Drunks perform.
    “People are going to be very impressed and blown away by what the Rum Drunks are going to cover,” International Bistro and State Theatre promotional manager Dax Turner said. “We just want every body to get dressed up, come out and have fun. It’s going to be a good time for everyone.”
    “This is the fourth year we’ve done this and it keeps getting bigger and bigger,” Rum Drunks’ Del Rendon said. “We put a lot of work into it and it’s our favorite show of the year. There’ll be all sorts of surprises. We just want people to come listen to us and have a good time.”
    The second event will be the Haunted House Charity Event at Big Kahuna’s Sunday night. The event has been going on since Wednesday and will end Sunday. The party starts at 4 p.m. every day and goes until 1 a.m. From 4 p.m. until 8 p.m., all ages are welcome, and then from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m., only persons 18 and older will be allowed to come inside, with free Coors Light for everyone 21 and older who walks in the door.
    “We’re going to have our costume contest Sunday night,” Big Kahuna’s Cory Poole said. “The winner will get a cash prize, a vacation for two and an adult-sized casket. Our second floor is remodeled and we’ll have about 20 actors around Big Kahuna’s ready to frighten the crowd. We’re also the only party on Halloween, so you can’t beat that.”
    A portion of the proceeds from Big Kahuna’s charity event will go to help a local children’s charity in Columbus. With a whole weeked full of Halloween parties to scare the costumed masses of Starkville and Columbus, there’s no chance of boredom this Halloween. The International Bistro and State Theatre and Big Kahuna’s will both be set to entertain all the ghosts and ghouls in town this weekend. The question is: Where to go first?